Hamas War

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Getting "Up" on the Eve of Shabbat Zachor

Twelve years ago, on the Eve of Shabbat Zachor, when we're commanded to remember what Amalek did to us, I got up off the sidewalk after an Arab terrorist rammed his car into me and over twenty other Israelis, murdering one and seriously injuring many others. We were just waiting at the busstop for a bus or a ride home.

The Arab terrorist's car had knocked me down and went over my left foot. The Arab doctor in the Terem clinic said that the X-ray was fine, but it took over six months until it stopped swelling up.

This year on the Eve of Shabbat Zachor, my neighbors, the Eldar family, just got up from sitting shiva for one of their young sons, 16 year old Yonatan, HaYa"D, who was gunned down last week by an Arab terrorist in the Merkaz Harav Yeshiva, Jerusalem.

Yonatan won't be getting up any more.

Shabbat Zachor Shalom

2 comments:

Leora said...

got up off the sidewalk after an Arab terrorist rammed his car into me and over twenty other Israelis
Where was this?

It makes me think that there are so, so, many of these incidents...the Ma'alot children, the Sbarro bombing, and now the Merkaz HaRav stand out in my head, but there were so many (the disco in Tel Aviv, that restaurant in Haifa)...

Batya said...

It was at French Hill. But then the bus stop was at a different corner. I've blogged about it before.