JBlog Carnival Updates, HH, KCC & JPIX

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Who needs them!?

This summer, when Israel was being attacked by its Arab neighbors on two fronts, Hizbollah in the north and Hamas, the P.A., in the south, it begged the United Nations to send a "peace-keeping force."

True to form, the United Nations happily came in to.... condemn Israel. No surprise!

And Kofi Anan also has no problem with Iran's openly saying that their aim is to destroy Israel.

I'm against this "peace-keeping force" for a multitude of reasons.

The main, the most important reason of all is that by asking for protection, the State of Israel is relinquishing its independence.

This point must be hammered in. Unfortunately, I don't hear any of the politicans, right, left or center, saying this important thing.

I'm disgusted and very worried!

2 comments:

Sammy_Finkelman said...

Kofi Annan did indicate theer was a problem with Iran's statements about Israel and his aides indicated that because he was backed by a resolution, he could tell basher Assad rather strongly that arms must not be sent intio Lebanon.

He's some of his press ocnference with Olmert (from IMRA)

Q: (for the SG about his visit to Iran)

SG: Let me say that I am aware of what the President of Iran has said. And as I have indicated in the past, Israel is a member of the United Nations. It is a recognized Member State and has the right to exist, and one cannot
wipe away Israel with statements. And those kinds of statements should not be made. As Secretary-General of the United Nations, I head an international organization of sovereign states. We are not homogeneous. The Member States
of the UN have different systems, they come from different backgrounds, and they have different policies. But they are all members. And as SG, I reserve
the right to talk to any Member State and to anyone who will help us make this world better -- who I need to talk to [in order] to improve things. So I have no hesitation maintaining contacts with any president, with President
[Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. I have been talking to him on the phone and I look forward to speaking to him and speaking with Ayatollah Khamanei. I think we have a lot to discuss. There are a lot of issues in the region and around the world that I would want to discuss with him. And besides, as SG of the
UN, I have no other means of influencing people except through dialogue, through persuasion and through honest discussion. And if I am not allowed to see them or talk to them, how do I do this? How do I explain that Israel is
a state that is a Member State of the UN, and that there should not be any incitement against Israel? If you know a better way that I can do that without talking to them, I would like to know. I have no weapons. I have no other means of pressuring them but through a dialogue.

Batya said...

Thanks Sammy, maybe you want to blog, too? You bring up some very good points.