Hamas War

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fox News in the Thick of It

When reporters and photographers are captured while working, they and their bosses become part of the news, rather than observers.

About twenty years ago or probably more even, since we were still in our temporary Shiloh home, which we moved out of 21 years ago. OK, that makes my little anecdote from spring either 21 or 22 years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

There was a reporter from the Wall Street Journal who did an in depth article on us. He spent about a week with us, even sleeping over a couple of nights. Afterwards he and his wife, also a journalist, took us out to dinner in Jerusalem. After that he'd call whenever in Israel and invite us out. Then he was captured, either by Iran or Iraq, I think. Eventually he was released, and we never heard from him again.

Fox News is considered the most "pro-Israel" of the international media. Gaza Captors of 2 Newsmen Pressure U.S. The newsmen are from Fox, and they've been held prisoner for almost two weeks. They're seen in a video saying:
"If you could apply any political pressure on the local government here in Gaza and the West Bank that would be much appreciated by Steve and myself...To my family: I love you all. Please don't worry. I'll do all the worrying for us."



Will things change?

2 comments:

YMedad said...

His name was Gerald Seib and he is now, I think, Washington Bureau head of the Wall Street Journal. Funny, I thought he was Jewish but when I took him to synagogue and he didn't cover his eyes for the Shma, I knew I had erred. But he was sympathetic and it was due to the fact that he was one of seven Roman Catholic children from the midwest rather than your normal east coast liberal.

Batya said...

thanks, he was a nice guy