Hamas War

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I was wondering...

Ever since I wrote about the complexity of guilt, I've been wondering why Olmert hasn't been vociferous in attacking the military. With all his faults, long-term planning for war was not his responsibility. And the real foul-ups were long-term planning in the relatively recent past.

Then last night, when I couldn't fall asleep, it hit me. He doesn't want to make enemies with the army, because he'll need to army for his evil plans to G-d forbid throw me and my neighbors out of our homes.

If Olmert starts blaming the army, the generals, the field officers, etc, they won't cooperate. And that may be part of the reason he's avoiding a serious inquiry in the conduct of the military during this horrid war.

When I was a student, we were taught a name for this type of politics: "I'll scratch your back, if you scratch mine." It's a first cousin to "pork barrel politics." In Israel it's commonly practiced, even by those who would never eat bacon.

Also, don't forget how many politicians were top army officers? They're all involved.

And enough people experienced the foul-ups during the war so that it will be very hard for the government to keep it all secret. As a blogger, I know how easy it is to broadcast words and pictures to the world.


Shavua Tov

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good call. We live in such an instantaneous gratification 'now' society that most of us sort of thought that stuff would move quickly and Olmert, Peretz, and Halutz would resign quickly due to the major uproar and especially with the opposition in the knesset working hard.

But no. These slimey guys are using good advice and will try and last as long as possible for new news to come along and for us to forget about the 4000 katyushas and when. Maybe last week, the expulsionII plan was not on the agenda, but it certainly has not been shelved either. Olmert would only be doing a major disservice by cleaning out the army of the A-team that has been built for last summer's rehearsal for the bad and ugly Shomron hills.

The media might not be forgiving the three stooges so easily, I've also lost count of the number of times I've been told, "elections would not be good for Israel right now" and/or "we need a united front in the face of the Iranian threat right now.

And guess which orange people are running to want to join a unity government?

Sometimes I really want to believe chabad's instantaneous gratification slogan - mashiach now!

Batya said...

Thanks

I agree.