Hamas War

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Even I don't believe this! But there is a way...

Of all the things I've been reading and hearing about the "situation," the first time I found myself "nodding yes" was when I read:

Israel is like an aging boxer who packs a mighty punch that is no longer effective because its intended victims know how to absorb it.
By Rami G. Khouri
Newsweek International


Honestly, I may not like all that he wrote in the article, and I definitely disagree with his final message, but some of his observations are very true.

I didn't feel that way when I read what Herb Keinan in the Jerusalem Post wrote, and you should know that we've been acquainted with him for years. He has interviewed, me, my husband and at least one of our kids. He's a nice guy, but this Friday's article has me worried.

I'm referring to this article which doesn't have a working link at present. I suggest checking The Jerusalem Post if you want to read it: Diplomacy: Taking a global approach By HERB KEINON

While the IDF's air and ground forces pinpoint Hizbullah positions, Israel has managed to persuade much of the watching world that its goals are of wider geopolitical importance.

Israel's strategy is unrealistic, it presumes that the Lebanese people want us to destroy Hezbollah, and it presumes that Lebanon can function as an independent country according to western ideals. Considering the history of the country, its inherent instability, that's a pretty tall order.

And if they want to look around the region, to see how successful "peace-keeping" forces can be, just look at Iraq. The latest statistics show:


UN tallies Iraq deaths: 100 civilians killed daily
By Kirk Semple The New York Times

Published: July 18, 2006

I wonder how long it will take for the American public to consider Iraq, just "another Vietnam." The American plan was also based on a misconception that as soon as the despot would be removed, the Iraqi people would embrace western-style freedom and democracy.

I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way. This may sound very "un-American" or sacrilegious, but not all people are the same!

Actually the solution, G-d's instructions to us are all written in the Bible, in the portion we read today in synagogue:


50 And HaShem spoke unto Moses in the plains of Moab by the Jordan at Jericho, saying:
51 'Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them: When ye pass over the Jordan into the land of Canaan,
52 then ye shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their figured stones, and destroy all their molten images, and demolish all their high places.
53 And ye shall drive out the inhabitants of the land, and dwell therein; for unto you have I given the land to possess it.
54 And ye shall inherit the land by lot according to your families--to the more ye shall give the more inheritance, and to the fewer thou shalt give the less inheritance; wheresoever the lot falleth to any man, that shall be his; according to the tribes of your fathers shall ye inherit.
55 But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then shall those that ye let remain of them be as thorns in your eyes, and as pricks in your sides, and they shall harass you in the land wherein ye dwell.
56 And it shall come to pass, that as I thought to do unto them, so will I do unto you.

I admit that it's not very "pc," politically correct, but until we at least make it clear to the Arabs here that either they live according to our laws or leave, we'll never have peace.

Shavua Tov, Shavua yoter Tov,

Yes, G-d willing a better week, but it's reallly up to us!

No comments: