Hamas War

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yes, It's A Jerusalem Landmark, A New One

Looking at the Jerusalem String Bridge, designed by Calatrava...




In all honesty, it's not my taste, and I can't vouch for the safety of construction, but I certainly can't deny that from certain angles that bridge is WOW!  It really dominates the Jerusalem landscape.  Maybe one of the reasons is that it really is so incongruous.  Yep, it's doesn't match.


Jerusalem is fully of visual ironies, and this is one of them for sure.



You can also call it the Olmert monument to... megalomania.  Between the bridge and the light-rail, he won't be forgotten for a long time.

4 comments:

Netivotgirl said...

When I heard about the thousands of shekels wasted on fireworks to celebrate this questionable monument, I had a thought:"Wow! If I had this amount of money in my poor bride's fund, I could marry off hundreds of brides!"

With so many poverty stricken folks in our nation, this waste of money galls me! As if the "rakevet kala" mess is not enough of a waste ......

Batya said...

So true. How about public housing for our kids? So much must be done for the ordinary citizen.

Anonymous said...

The bridge is beautiful but not where they located in. And indeed, the money wasted on it was needed for so many more elementary things in this city

Just google Calatrava bridges to see how amazing his works are in the right place. He should have simply said "no" to this project.

Batya said...

I agree!