Hamas War

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Prayer and an Update

Chodesh Tov dear brothers and sisters! Deepest thanks to all those who prayed for my Rebbe, Aharon Reuven ben Hinda. Boruch Hashem he came through surgery okay and the doctors are cautiously optimistic.

I told Ella this afternoon about the taanit dibur that friends arranged on his behalf until "Chatzot Ha'yom." Of course, many fasted the entire day as Rav Shlomo Amar had requested for a "ta'anit tzibur," but some like myself find fasting arduous so I opt for a "taanit dibur." I savor the feeling of being locked in my own little world, attempting to liberate myself from the material and rise to spiritual heights.

Immediately after this conversation I went to pray at the Baba Sali's shrine. The place was teeming with hundreds. Erev Rosh Chodesh is a wonderful time to meet women from all over the country. Several of my friends and I go there armed with special kits about family purity and other mitzvot.

I have a wonderful suggestion for prayer time: This summer I vacationed up north. Occasionally, I got so overwhelmed at my arrival to Kivrot Tzaddikim (Burial sites of saintly men,) that I forgot to daven for some of those I pray for daily. Hence this time I prepared a special "pinkas"(tiny notebook,) with lists of people I wish to pray for, under headings: Need children; need a shidduch; need a refuah shleima; need to be freed from captivity; need Hashem's shmira during their army service; etc. This way I don't have to wonder, "Now who else did I want Abba to help?"

I hope Hashem grants Rabbi Rappaport a full recovery in time to witness the coming of Moshiach. No, I'm not a Chabbadnikit, but adopted years ago their slogan, "We want Moshiach now!" I wish that when I prayed Shmoneh Esrei my "kavanot" remained pure instead of wandering off into the realms of cooking or checking exams. With the coming of Ellul, I'll have to work a bit harder on that! Chodesh Tov to all, and may we hear bsorot tovot!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Refuah Shleima.

I haven't done a ta'anit dibur since Yeshiva days. Tough stuff if you're around people but good for the mind and soul.

Netivotgirl said...

Yes Shy Guy, it is hard. But especially for me (I have a BIG mouth, ) I find the quiet a nice change once in a while :)

I try sometimes to do a taanit dibur on Shabbat (until Chatzot Hayom) if I feel I need to do teshuva for something specific. My youngest is 19 so my kids are already used to it and since it is difficult around people, I stay home during those hours.

Many people in Netivot chose to do such a taanit on Yom Kippur. It really helps one focus on the ruchani side of things.