Hamas War

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"I Need Help," My Friend Said

Today I went to the pool in Jerusalem. I was greeted by my friend:
"I Need Help. Two of my kids, with all their kids, moved in with us. They live in --, and they feel safer in Jerusalem. I don't mind that they're all with us, but I can't afford it. Do you have any idea how much all this is costing us? I have to buy so much food every day. Don't you know how to get me some help?"

What could I do? I told her that I'm a blogger, not a fund-raiser.

On the media we see these happy people, in comfortable homes, hosting total strangers. That's wonderful. I put my name in one of those "lists," but it seems that nobody is interested in staying in Shiloh. Maybe it's because my house is cold. It's cold, because it's too empty. But back to my friend...

My friend isn't the only one struggling to help her family. Their normal financial situation is very "tight," and now they're drowning in bills. Their kids don't have more than minimal money, and that's when they're all working.

War has more than direct "hits." Those are the primary, but there are secondary and tertiary victims and further.

Students are missing material. If they're in the second or third grades, they'll easily make it up, but what about the high school students? It's not enough to say:
"We'll add to their grade." or "We'll give them an easier test."


In high school, when you're tested on certain material, it's not repeated next year. If students are majoring in Math, and they miss material, it can have much wider repercussions. English isn't just various "topics." You need the previous material to progress.

I hope to find a way to help my friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I understand the food issue. If the young families stayed home, wouldn't they have to buy groceries? Can't they chip in and help your friend?

Batya said...

It's not that simple.

Nobody has enough money under the best of circumstances, and now no real income, and keeping kids happy when out of school adds up.