Hamas War

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Once There Was a Bus....

By Netivotgirl

The sky is filled with helicopters as par for the course during the past few weeks. Only now things have escalated. How those animals could have purposely targeted a bright yellow school bus is beyond belief!!

I remember the years when each of my children spent a year or more at a school or Yeshiva in Yerushalayim. I was always a bit tense as 'way back when,' there was a spate of bus bombings. When the said child returned home to Netivot, I always breathed a sigh of relief.

Well, no more! The escalation of morters and kassams has been quite noticeable. I used to be able to easily differentiate between our fire and their rockets. No more. 2 weeks ago when they sent over 50 rockets our way on Shabbat, the firing was intense. I blithely told my daughter, "Don't worry, hon! Those are our boys returning fire! Can't you tell it's our artillery?" Well, the joke was on me! They now lob them at such frequency that the rockets sound like artillery fire.

My heart goes out to my friend Judith and others in the Eshkol region who are either in shelters at home or still in shelters at school unable to return to the 'safety' of their homes until who knows when. What about dinner? Where will they spend the night? Will they get any sleep whatsoever?

My daughter had planned to walk to a local wedding hall with friends tonight, but I will pay for a taxi instead, Be'H. That way if there is a siren she won't be caught in the open without a place to hide.

Should the IDF once again enter Gaza? I don't believe it would be a good idea simply because sadly, I believe our Prime Minister lacks the guts to see such a move through to the end, to a point where we will so severely damage the Chamas war machine that we will be able to live our lives peacefully without fear of rocket fire. It's just a crying shame that we didn't finish the job in the Cast Lead Operation when we were so close to that goal.

4 comments:

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
It wasn't the first time they targeted a school bus.
I fear that you're correct about another Cast Lead. There's also much more that should be done before ground troops are sent in.
Neve Dekalim used to get 60 mortars a night sometimes. Now the target has been moved farther inland, but the left still refuses to acknowledge that the pre-Expulsions predictions have all come true. We rarely had warnings. Which is worse, having 15 seconds, knowing that it's often not enough time to reach safety or not having any warning at all?
G-d willing questions like this will be irrelevant soon.

Netivotgirl said...

I remember THE school bus bombing at Kfar Darom. (Noga Cohen had been my pupil years before when she was Noga Rabiyoff of Kfar Maimon.)

Like you, before the expulsion I told folks to demonstrate against that mistake predicting the present situation. We failed to stop it, but at least my conscience is at peace knowing that I did everything I could by writing letters; e-mails and going to all the demonstrations.

Hashem knows what He is doing and we can only pray for Moshiach to arrive sooner rather than later.

Anonymous said...

It's also a shame that we didn't kick out ALL the Arabs when we had a chance, and it's also a shame that we gave them the keys to the Temple Mount, yada yada yada...

Netivotgirl said...

Dear Anon: "Yada Yada Yada."
Being cynical never helped Am Yisral over the generations. Either come up with viable ideas for us to try or at least DAVEN for things to change.

Also, why are you anonymous???? I publish extremely controversial opinions on the National EFL teachers network-- so much so that my national supervisor no longer answers my e-mails.

Why are you afraid of signing your name? I write Netivotgirl for purposes of modesty here, so if you too are female, I understand; but otherwise, I don't understand the need for anonymity.