Hamas War

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Eilat Is Also Eretz Yisrael, The Land Of Israel

Parrot in Eilat

I'll start with a version of a popular Israeli joke of the past few decades:
A couple just had a baby boy, and they were trying to decide what name to give.

"How about Ya'aqov?" asked the husband
"No," said the wife. "It isn't Biblical enough."

Of course, we all know that Ya'aqov was a very important a crucial Biblical character. He fathered the twelve tribes, but when people talk of "Biblical names," they mean the lesser known ones, like some I'm particularly fond of, Tzruya, She'era and Nedavya.

When we talk of Eretz Yisrael, we think of the Biblical area near Shiloh and the others on the mountain range, like Shechem, Beit El, Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Hebron.

When we think of Eilat, we think of tourists and beaches and marinas. But Eilat also has a Biblical History.

I believe that we each have a place in the Land of Israel where we can feel at home, and that's where we should live. I would never tell someone that they should live in Shiloh and not Eilat, and I just want the same respect.

Here are some of the pictures and movies I took during our recent vacation in Eilat.


Photobucket

Eilat sea

the sea Eilat



the sea Eilat

Eilat



Would you believe that I had never been in Eilat before? That's the truth. I'll be posting more pictures at a later date.

1 comment:

Joseph said...

Eilat is NOT part of Eretz Yisroel, it is Chutz La’Aretz.

For one written discussion on this, see the Shevet HaLevi (5:173) where he rules that Eilat is outside Eretz Yisroel.