Hamas War

Friday, December 12, 2008

What Do You Light For Chankuah?

When I was growing up, there were only candle Chanukah menorahs and the big question was:
"How many nights would we remember to light it?"
There was some variety in the "size." Most used the standard candles we bought from the local shul, but we also had a "child-sized" menorah in which we put tiny "birthday cake" candles.


Here in Israel, I discovered the beauty of lighting olive oil. It must be good olive oil, the type which is irresistible on salad or "mopped up" with fresh bread or pita. Every time we've bought "bargain" olive oil, we've discovered the hard way that it's just green dyed machine oil or worse.
Time to stock up.

4 comments:

Schvach said...

One of the Chabad schluchot in my area introduced me to olive oil and floating wicks for the Chanukiyah
18 years ago, I've been doing it
ever since. It's a great idea - I love the fragrance.

Batya said...

So I trust that you light only best of olive oils.
Chag Urim Sameach!

Schvach said...

Batya: I'm no maven on the subject of olive oils, but trust me, the olive oil I use is not manufactured as a lubricant for machines.

Batya said...

I have no doubt. Chag Urim Sameach!!
May the Hellenists in our midst cease their ways...