None of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's fancy words and flawless delivery can hide the fact that he, Defense Minister Moshe (Bogie) Ya'alon and COS Benny Gantz have allowed the Gazan Arab Hamas terrorists to defeat us by Just look at their posture and faces; body language says it all.
|Jewish Press Photo Credit: Flash 90|
Yes, they should be embarrassed.
The Israeli public had given them overwhelming support to defeat the Gazan Hamas Arab terrorists and take over if necessary, and instead instead, like the Biblical Judah's son Onan who refused to have a child with his brother's widow Tamar they withdrew our IDF troops too early to do the job. The Bible tells of that Onan was punished by G-d, killed, for this sin, and no doubt G-d will find a way to effectively punish these failed leaders.
Right now there isn't a Rightist party in the Knesset, but if elections were to be held now, a party like former MK's Arye Eldad and Michael Ben-Ari's Otzma li'Yisrael would do well. Bibi's support has dropped under one third of the population and even fewer feel that we won this war. Poll on IMRA:
Did Israel win?Israel is a very small country with a large percentage of the population army veterans or connected to veterans, so you can't con us about war and defense.
Yes 29% No 59%
How would you term the performance of PM Netanyahu in the last week?
Good 32% Bad 59% Don't know/refuse reply 9%
Percent good by polling date:
25 August 38%
21 August 55%
5 August 63%
23 July 82%
In blatant hypocrisy, Netanyahu after preaching to Obama that ISIS and Hamas are two sides of the same coin, recognized Hamas and made an agreement with them. Read Evelyn Gordon's analysis of the connection between the two, ISIS and Hamas: Spot the Differences.
It is hard to see what Israel is getting out of this ceasefire except a stronger enemy the next time Hamas begins attacking us.
“In order to preserve the lives of innocent people and prevent bloodshed, and in accordance with the Egyptian Initiative of 2014 and the Cairo 2012 memorandums of understanding, Egypt has invited the Israeli and Palestinian sides to a comprehensive and mutual ceasefire with the opening of the crossings between the Gaza Strip and Israel to allow a speedy entry of humanitarian aid and relief, reconstruction supplies and fishing permissions from six nautical miles. Indirect negotiations over other topics are to start in a month. As both sides accepted the ceasefire, it shall start at 7pm Cairo time on 26 August 2014." from official MFA statementAm I imagining it?
Here's the Jerusalem Post summary of the agreement:
• Hamas and the other terrorist groups in Gaza halt all rocket and mortar fire into Israel.
• Israel stops all military action, including air strikes, ground operations and targeted killings.
• The Palestinian Authority will lead coordination of the reconstruction effort in Gaza with international donors, including the European Union, Qatar, Turkey and Norway. Saudi Arabia is also likely to be a major donor, with the expectation in Jerusalem being that unlike Qatar, it will take pains to ensure that its funds will not be directed to Hamas, but rather to build up the PA.
• Israel is expected to narrow the security buffer – a no-go area for Palestinians that runs along the inside of the Gaza border – reducing it from 300 meters to 100 meters if the truce holds. The move will allow Palestinians more access to farmland close to the border.
• Israel will extend the fishing limit off Gaza’s coast from 3 miles to 6 miles, with the possibility of widening it gradually if the truce holds. Ultimately, the Palestinians want to return to a full 12-mile international allowance.
• Israel agrees to open the Erez and Kerem Shalom crossings to the supervised transfer of goods, including humanitarian aid and reconstruction equipment, into the Gaza Strip.
Honestly, I'm not alone in feeling positively ill about it. Please don't forget that Israel is now being attacked from the north. Anyone who thinks that it's just an unrelated coincidence is crazy.