Hamas War

Thursday, May 6, 2010

"First They Came For..." Israeli Version

*I've retitled this.  It was formerly called: "YESHA Zeh Kahn, We're All YESHA, Consensus? What's That?"

There are lots of good Jews who decided not to live in places like my home town Shiloh, because they felt it was a bad investment.




"The world won't let you stay, build... etc"

So, they bought in places like Gush Etzion, Ganei Modiin, Maale Adumim and Jerusalem neighborhoods like Ramat Shlomo, etc.




"Knock knock,"
"Who's there?"
The building inspectors, freezers and destroyers in ...

Oops!


What happened to that "consensus" or "security" all those people said they had but I didn't.  It reminds me of:



"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.


THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.


THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.


THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
I'd like to rewrite it, just a bit...
"THEY CAME FIRST for the Israeli Jews in the gevahot, mountain top communities, but I didn't speak up because I didn't live there.


THEN THEY CAME for the Israeli Jews in the yishuvim of Judea and Samaria, but I didn't speak up because I didn't live there.


THEN THEY CAME for the Israeli Jews in Elkana, Gush Etzion, Givat Zeev, Ganei Modiin and Maale Adumim, but I didn't speak up because I didn't live there.


THEN THEY CAME for the Israeli Jews in the Jerusalem neighborhoods liberated in the 1967 Six Days War, but I didn't speak up because I didn't live there.


THEN THEY CAME for me and by that time no one was left to speak up."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you suggesting, practically speaking?

Right now, I just add large parts of the Israel authorities into my intents when I say "Nekom Le'Eineinu Nikmat Dam Avadecha Hashafuch". And I have extra Kavanah on the word "Le'Eineinu".

Batya said...

I think I'm pretty clear writing that by disowning us who live in places like Biblical Shiloh, Tel Aviv will be lost, G-d forbid.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Shy Guy, isn't it obvious? If the Jewish people as a whole doesn't stop differentiating between the various regions of Israel, except for matters of kedusha, we're facilitating the whittling of Israel down to the city-state of Gush Dan. It's the galut mentality. "It's all right. The pogrom was in the next village, not ours."
And then there's the crazy rationale that giving up parts of Israel enables us to keep the rest. Never, never give a bully your lunch money.