Hamas War

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Straight Talking, Plain Talking, Whatever It's Called, I Don't Beat Around the Bush

The other day, my husband handed me the phone.  It was Ben Hubbard of the Associated Press.  He wanted to come to Shiloh for an interview on a day when my husband wouldn't be home, so I was asked to cover.

No big deal.  In the twenty-eight years plus since we moved to Shiloh, I've had more famous journalists and dignitaries over.  My father would get a kick out of reading about me in  The New York Times.  Now, he's part of the show.  We sat on a bench in the park across the street.  I gave him a sandwich to eat, since we were missing lunch when the crew, Hubbard plus photographer and sound man finally arrived.

I try to listen very carefully to the questions and have no problems asking for better wording.  I try to give extremely clear and explicit answers.  The trick is to never be ambiguous nor sarcastic.  Plain, straight talking is best.  Otherwise, your words may come back to haunt you.  I'm never PC, (politically correct,) just plain honest.  If you want any official line, don't come to me. I write my own script and don't take orders.  I represent myself, my view of things, not always very conventional or even polite.  "Out of the box" is my comfort zone.

Well, so far I haven't seen any sign of that interview.  If you have, please let me know.  Thanks

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i understand that you are representing yourself only. but do you think that is how the media see it? dont they use your quote to support 'the settlers position?'

Unknown said...

I would say that they may be having trouble trying to edit what you said in order to spin things their way. Why don't you publish the transcript (with permission) so that we can see it?

Batya said...

a, I have just as much right to be considered as representing "the settlers" as any oneelse. I've been here longer than most, and many agree with me.

Sabba Hillel, sorry, but I don't have a transcript or a tape of it. That would be a nice idea to record interviews and then post them. I just don't have the equipment nor the money to invest.

Unknown said...

I don't know if you would find a basic tape recorder at a flea market as we would in the U.S. but perhaps you can ask for a copy of the tape or a transcript from the person doing the interview. Of course, I am assuming that they will send you a copy of the article once they write it.

Batya said...

That sort of bargain is rare here. I just sent the reporter an email asking if he used my interview and where.

Keli Ata said...

Oh Batya, you sound like a reporter's dream to me! Clear and concise in what you say and asking for clarification.

At least from the perspective of a small-time crime reporter at a 15,000 circulation weekly in the US.

I don't often get to write about Israel but I would love to write a column about Israel and interview you:)

I must be fair and honest. Even the people I've had in the police blotter have thought I've treated them fairly.

Batya said...

That would be wonderful, Keli.... I wish you could interview me.