I'll leave out the political price we'll pay, since he definitely towed the Pseudistinian line.
I'll try to list the various costs.
- First of all, all of the security guards putting in extra hours.
- Don't forget the price of all the receptions, food and gifts.
- The planning and then advertising of road closures and changes in public transportation. I wouldn't be surprised if people got paid overtime to work on it.
- Extra travel time for those inconvenienced. And extra payments to babysitters, since everything took longer.
- Businesses and museums which lost customers for days on end, including Lag B'Omer, a school vacation day.
- Doctors and other professionals whose patients and clients couldn't make their appointments, and those who were billed even though they tried to come and didn't.
That's just a start. What would you add? Do you have a shekel/aggorot, dollar/cents estimate?
And about security, remember that Pope John Paul II was shot at the Vatican, proving that most tragedies, accidents and deaths happen close to home.