Hamas War

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Shoot First; Ask Questions Later

The other week I was walking to Jerusalem's Central Bus Station, when I noticed a demonstration, so I whipped out my camera and started shooting pictures.




It was only later when I got closer could I ask questions.



Honestly, I didn't quite understand what the demonstrators were telling me.  Maybe they had been in the hot sun too long, or maybe I had.  I figured that eventually I'd find out what's going on.  Of course, the photos stayed in my camera and were eventually burned on a CD.



Davka, this morning I heard something on the news about a Water Authority strike, so I googled "Israel water authority strike" for more information.  And now I can write about the demonstration.

The Israel Water Authority workers want a better salary deal.  And more government workers are joining in with solidarity strikes.  Not having seen their pay checks, nor having observed how hard and stressful their jobs are, I don't know how justified it all is.  Everyone wants more money, though not everyone really needs it to live.

Some of us really need proper full-time jobs and salaries, because we don't have them, or our "full-time" in time is just "part-time" in money.

2 comments:

Keli Ata said...

They're right to protest. Everyone deserves to make a living wage. There are organizations in the US fighting for that, too.

Many living wage increase proponents in the US, or at least in Buffalo. A while back politicians were challenged to try to live on just $9 a week for food money.

Most found it hard. I work only on a freelance basis so my boss doesn't have to pay me taxes or even the minimum wage. I've had at times to buy food with little more than $9 at times.

Batya said...

I don't know their specific issue and salary demands.