Hamas War

Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Likud's Not For Me

The statement in the title can be read at least two ways.
  • The Likud is not my party of choice to vote for in the upcoming Israeli Elections.
  • The Likud doesn't promote policies I consider necessary for the survival and growth of the State of Israel.

Yesterday, for the second time in less than a week, I ran into an old friend who touts himself as pro-Land of Israel, Right wing etc, but he's a loyal Likudnik. We had one of those quick, straight to business, talks on the sidewalks of Jerusalem. He considers himself a pragmatist, a realist, and that's why he thinks it's important to support Bibi Netanyahu and the Likud.

I also consider myself a pragmatist, a realist, and that's why I'm not supporting the Likud. He is encouraged by the addition of strong ideological Israelis, such as Benny Begin, but I'm disappointed. Benny has returned to his father's party, which has made the sentimental and nostalgic very happy.

My sentiments are here in Shiloh, the center of Israeli political history, where the Jewish People became a Nation, the first administrative and spiritual Capital, which lasted 369 years.

The two Binyamin's, Begin and Netanyahu have mentioned nothing about the importance of Israel holding onto and strengthening its presence in Judea, Samaria and specifically Shiloh. All we hear are platitudes about an undivided Jerusalem and the importance of security.

Well, there's no security without land. It's that simple. The cease-fire lines after the 1967 Six Days War gave Israel security. Successive governments bumbled, stumbled and weakened us by handing over land and sovereignty to the Arabs. Every step in the "peace process" has increased terrorism. Much of Eretz Yisrael, the Land of Israel, is Judenrein, scoured/empty of Jews, and the Likud party is not promoting anything to change it.

I hope and pray that there will be a political party I can vote for with a clean conscience, a political party I can promote and work for without embarrassment and the need to make excuses for. All I want is one with a very simple platform.

Zot Shelanu!

All of the Land of Israel

For the Betterment of Israeli Jews

We Have One Land

It is Ours!

7 comments:

Ehav Ever said...

I am really struggling with the issue of who to vote for. I don't see anyone who is strong enough to reflect the things I beleive in, as you mentioned concerned what real security of Eretz Yisrael i.e. the territory that Hashem gave. I almost feel like I need to get out there and run myself, or beg people I know who have Torah and Musar. A difficult road ahead, I guess at some point I will have a better idea of what I as the individual can do.

Batya said...

That's why I established my "imaginary party," Zot Shelanu. Do you want to join?

Ehav Ever said...

Too funny. Yeah, I am actually going to be talking to someone soon from HaTikvah. There was a guy at the last ZFA meeting I spoke with, and though it seems like they have a lot of work to do, maybe that is something that I need to check out. If all else fails I will be there with in Zot Shelanu.

Batya said...

I did check out Hatikvah, a few times, and would love your opinion.

Ehav Ever said...

I'll let you know after I talk to him.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I for one will not support your party. First, you have no broader platform: social issues? Poverty? Fractured society? Education? Budget? And the list goes on and on...Second, even the position you do take is woefully inadequate. So, how do you propose to deal with issues of land, Arabs, etc.? Are you kahanist in this regard? Demographic issues? And so on...

Batya said...

ee, thanks

a? whoever you are, I'm starting with what's most important. That's the key.
Of course I have opinions about the issues you mentioned, and no, I am not and was never a Kahanist. I don't follow people.