Hamas War

Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Closed for the Holidays"

Shabbat I was in Suburban, USA.

It reminded me of an old joke about Reform Judaism.

On Rosh Hashannah, there's a sign on the "Temple:"
Closed for the Holidays!

I wasn't at a "Reform Temple," nor a "Conservative," just a plain ordinary Modern Orthodox. And, no, it wasn't closed. But the rabbi must have had been on vacation. He wasn't there. So, there was the basic dovening, but no sermon, no Dvar Torah, no explanation of the Torah reading.
I'm certain that there are many knowledgeable members who would have been able to "pinch hit" and enrich the service.
Have a good week!

6 comments:

Leora said...

Our rabbi goes to Israel for a month every summer. It takes a lot of energy to organize all those speakers and readers while he's gone (my husband does a lot of this organizing). You just made me appreciate our synagogue (Cong. Etz Ahaim of Highland Park, NJ) and my husband even more!

Looking forward to some points from Shiloh. Have a safe trip home.

Batya said...

You should be proud and appreciative. I really was disappointed that nothing was organized, as if religion was on vacation. Everyone, including those not on vacation should be given appropriate religious services.

Today, G-d willing, we'll see more of my relatives. Very exciting.

ps That MO synagogue also has something planned inappropriate for the 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

You're coming from Israel, why are you upset by "no sermon, no Dvar Torah, no explanation of the Torah reading"? Nobody does those things in any Israeli shul!

Batya said...

a, I'm not comparing to Israeli shuls in which some do have divrei Torah plus. I'm not even comparing different American shuls. Each shul has its customs and needs, and the members of the one I was at expect/need at least a Dvar Torah.

The summer Parshot, Three Weeks, etc are of the most extreme importance. If the rabbi takes a vacation, someone should be around to make sure the members still have a "teacher."

YMedad said...

I was there the previous week and the Rabbi said he'd be off to the Caribbean, I think. There was a shi'ur just before Mincha led by a congregant when I was there.

Batya said...

Mincha's mincha. Shacharit-musaf deserve a dvar Torah, too. The private minyan had one by our host.