Hamas War

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Noise, Too Much NOISE!

I've always loved Manhattan, but I think that this visit I overdosed on mid-town, my favorite section. Actually, in my Stern girl days, I lived there on East 34th Street.

Every one of my NY visits, ever since my aliyah in 1970, I've enjoyed my trips to "the city." Not this time. The noise got to me. I don't remember so much noise. Some stores had music at volumes that must be illegal, damaging to one's health. The streets were also too noisy to hear my cellphone.

A few months ago, I tried out the Curves in Pisgat Zeev, Jerusalem. There, too, I suffered from the noise and had to request that they lower the volume of the music. I was told:

"You'll get used to it."
"But I don't want to. If I do, it means that my ears are damaged."

What long-term effects do the noise have?

Years ago I read that if there's music blasting in a car, even if it's sophisticated classical music, the concentration of the driver is reduced.

What does this say about the modern world?

While wandering in Manhattan, I went into a very popular super-giant electronics store. It was noisy. No efforts have been made to reduce the noise. I found it totally unbearable. It was hard to concentrate on the answers and formulate questions. I would never buy something in such a store, unless I knew exactly what I wanted and the price was much lower than any place else. Even then, I don't think I would buy there. You can't develop a rapport with the salespeople to ask questions, etc. It's so confusing, too easy to buy something more expensive and complicated than necessary. I think that's part of their plan.

Remember that one of the techniques in brainwashing is noise.

Just a few more days and I'm back home in Shiloh, G-d willing, and now I'm enjoying the quiet in the suburbs.

Shavua Tov
Have a good week.

No comments: