Hamas War

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Shelter in The Coat Closet

Even though nobody expects the Hamas Arab Gazan terrorists to target the Shiloh area, I couldn't keep my mind from inspecting every room and hallway in my house to decide on the most suitable location to designate as the safe room aka the shelter.

It was not an easy task, because we have large windows and even more glass windows over the doors, so the hall would be light.  I did the mental search more as an intellectual exercise.  Finally, remembering advice I had heard that if you're really stuck get under a heavy blanket, on Friday, I got a brainstorm.  How about hiding in the front coat closet?

About a half hour after lighting Shabbat Candles, suddenly it began to wail, the siren, up and down, like a terrified child's cry echoing over and over.  What was I supposed to do?  "This must just be some sort of malfunction,"  I tried to convince myself.

But I found myself taking the Torah Tidbits I had been reading and sat in the coat closet wondering if I was being an idiot.  Light came in from the front door and hallway, so I continued reading and heard neighbors talking as they passed by.

After awhile I returned to the couch.

The Defense Ministry has Shiloh in the Jerusalem District, so when they realized that Hamas was trying to bomb Jerusalem we were put on alert.
Two rockets landed outside of Jerusalem Friday evening as sirens rang out, causing no injuries or damage. Police reported there was "no indication" that rockets landed in the city, stating that "most likely, the rockets landed in an open area outside of Jerusalem."
Hamas took credit for the attack, claiming to have shot "an improved Kassam," which it called an M-75, towards Jerusalem. The launch represents the first Hamas rocket attack aimed at Jerusalem.
Yes, Hamas has declared war on the entire State of Israel.  We mustn't forget it!


Israelis took cover from a rocket attack on Friday during the funeral for one of the three people who
died in a rocket attack the day before in Kiryat Malachi.
 
 

4 comments:

MAOZ said...

Better to take cover during an alert and be *thought* an idiot, than to ignore the warning and *prove* it :)

goyisherebbe said...

Right, not merely an idiot but a dead idiot.

Rickismom said...

On thursday evening I was walking near my house with a friend when I thought I heard the air-raid siren. I told my friend who was with me, "Come, let's at least get under a building".
-"But no one else is!"
I was the only one who took any type of shelter. Our fear of being laughed at can kill us.....

Sara Layah said...

Heads up,Batya! In my elementary school days tornado drills had the class seek cover in the cloak closets. For protection from incoming rockets while in your house, locate a protected area in an interior room away from glass.