Hamas War

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"... but mine {the Arab terrorist} was released."

In the fifteen and a half years since being run over by an Arab terrorist, I've never had any "therapy" or even been part of a victims/survivors group.  But davka, yesterday, the day Gilad Shalit was released by the terrorists, returned to Israel and reunited with his family, I had a short conversation about our common pasts with another Arab terrorism survivor. 

Readers of this blog probably read that "my terrorist was killed on the spot."  It's a good feeling to know that he's totally "out of circulation."  I don't care if he got 70 virgins in his deserved hell or not, as long as he can't murder or maim or terrorize ever again.  My terrorist was an extremely dangerous one, because he didn't fit the usual criteria Israeli security forces predict will perpetrate terror attacks.  Apparently, he was very "ordinary" and had just gone shopping.  The police tried to prove it "an accident" and prosecute the young men who shot him dead, but the facts were too clear. 

My "therapy" post-terror attack has been to mount my own media campaign, like this blog.  But even before there were blogs, I went straight from Terem, the "first aid trauma center" where I had my foot x-rayed to the Jerusalem Post offices.  There I found David Bar Illan, who was then the editor in chief.

"David, I was there at the French Hill terror attack.  Yes, it was a terror attack, not an accident! Either give me a computer to write up what really happened or send someone to interview me."

I must have looked like a madwoman at the time.  My foot was swelling rapidly, and I was fueled by post-attack adrenalin.  David looked at me as if I was insane.

After we talked a bit, he sent a reporter to interview me, after making sure I was comfortably resting on his couch.  Once I got home, I sketched and faxed a diagram of the attack and sent it to the Jerusalem Post.  I also wrote an op-ed for them.  The Jerusalem Post, based on my information, also published a double-sized editorial condemning the police for trying to prove that the terror attack was an innocent accident.

Besides the Jerusalem Post op-ed, I was taxied to Jerusalem for a live interview on IBA TV News.  My "therapy" was media-based.

Yesterday at Yafiz, because of the lop-sided, badly negotiated Gilad Shalit exchange/deal I was discussing the attack with fellow workers when a friend came in.  He had survived a much more serious Arab terror attack, both in terms of the fatalities and his own injuries.  I asked him if it was strange/peculiar for me to refer to the Arab terrorist murderer as "my terrorist," when telling people that he had been killed on the spot.  He replied:

"No, not at all.  But mine was released.  I didn't check the list, but I was told."

What could I say?

5 comments:

Azriel said...

I cannot find the words to comfort you, only that I feel your pain. I know the justice of this world shall not bring justice , but in comfortI can only quote Solomon;
Ecclesiates 3:1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

9What profit has he that work in that wherein he labours?

10I have seen the travail, which G-D has given to the sons of men to be exercised in it.

11He has made every thing beautiful in his time: also he has set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that G-D makes from the beginning to the end.

12I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life.

13And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of G-D.

14I know that, whatsoever G-D does, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and G-D does it, that men should fear before him.

15That which has been is now; and that which is to be has already been; and G-D requires that which is past.

16And moreover I saw under the sun the place of judgment, that wickedness was there; and the place of righteousness, that iniquity was there.

17I said in mine heart, G-D shall judge the righteous and the wicked: for there is a time there for every purpose and for every work.

Healing, and safety to you Batya

Batya said...

Nothing like Kohelet, thanks

Keliata said...

I also wish I had words to comfort you:( What I can say is that I have tremendous respect and appreciation for what you did following the terrorist attack.

Your courage in going the J Post to warn people about what really happened and compassion in trying to save Jewish lives by calling a spade a spade (terrorist a terrorist) is wonderful.

I truly do admire you.

Again, it was important to not let the media or anyone else minimize the terrorism as a non terrorist crime.

This is an increasing problem in the US--unless a terrorist attack is as dramatic and blatantly obvious the media and liberals are all too willing to dismiss it. We saw this with the shooting deaths of 13 soldiers in Fort Hood.

Courage and compassion.

That's you.

Keliata said...

And you are always in my prayers, and may Hashem's words continue to comfort and strenthen you:)

Batya said...

keli, thanks so much for your kind, understanding words