Hamas War

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm not walking to the back of the bus!

In recent years, some Israeli bus lines have adopted the custom of separating men and women to the extreme. Woman are supposed to schlepp to the back of the bus, which has fewer seats than the front, even making them stand, while the men sit comfortably, sometimes even one to a double-seat, and conveniently in the front. This has become a de facto standard in the more religious Israeli circles and bus routes.

Now on regular bus lines, in my old age I've been offered seats in the front of the bus by a variety of bus travellers. There are pluses to starting to "look my age." I'm honestly very grateful for the help and thank people. I don't consider it an insult to be considered old.

Just over a week ago, twice in one day, I entered buses in which I was expected to schlepp myself to the back, even though there were plenty of empty seats in the front. Neither were officially of the chareidi sex-separated lines.

The first was a bus out of Tel Zion, which I picked up at the Maavar Michmas bus stop. It's a very short ride from there to Jerusalem. Almost all of the seats I could see had one person sitting, so there were plenty of empty seats. It's just that almost all those closest to the door had a man sitting, and I wasn't going to scandalize them by sitting next to them. All that was needed was a little efficient practical thinking. One man, just one man, needed to get up to sit next to a male friend and give me his vacated seat. I looked at them, and they looked at me, and I held onto the pole for dear life as the bus rounded the very dangerous curve onto the main road.

As a mother and teacher, I find myself "educating others" at the oddest of occasions, so as I started requesting what seemed so obvious out loud, a young mother with tiny infant in her arms moved over to make room for me. I sat with them, but I wonder how these men treat their wives and mothers.

Then, on my way home, that very same day, I waited at the French Hill bus and hitchhiking stop. Finally a local "school bus" pulled up. Our regional council provides a free bus during commuter rush hour to help people get home. I was one of the first on the bus. Again I was greeted by a bus filled with one man to a double seat. They looked at me, and I looked at them. I was tired and hadn't spent my day at a desk like many of the high tech workers who were so comfortably sitting. There was no young mother or female of any sort in the front of the bus.

I had no choice; I asked out loud that "someone" get up to sit next to a friend, or I'll just plop myself wherever I want. It was a good move, and I got a seat. The other was quickly filled by a young teenage girl.

More people got on the bus, many were teenage girls. The driver wouldn't leave while the girls were standing. He got up and checked the situation:

"There are plenty of seats still available."
But of course the young women wouldn't sit by the men and the men, territorial about their precious possessions, wouldn't move to sit with their fellow males. Finally, you guessed it, big mouth me called out:
"Girls sit down next to them. If they don't like it, they'll move."

And the guys got up, and there was room for all.

Now why can't they think of it themselves?

Even better, why can't they think of other people, instead of just being selfish?

PS If men want to sit separately from women, they should sit in the back of the bus. Honestly, how many men are pregnant, schlepp babies and all the paraphernalia etc?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever happened to good old fashioned derech eretz?

Anonymous said...

Kol HaKavod! כל הכבוד!
I have done this too as I ride the 319 Rehovot-Bnai Brak bus.

I can't suggest that the men sit at the back of the bus but I have asked men to sit together so a woman with a child could sit. (The woman was going to stand.)

I would love to tell them to move to the rear, but for now we'll have to settle for this. Funny thing is that couples often sit together. Also, when the bus is not crowded women sit wherever they want (but not next to men).

Go figure.

Rafi G. said...

good for you! the whole concept is a stupidity

Jacob Da Jew said...

You tell em !

I had that incident myself a while back...

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Batya!

-- MAOZ

Batya said...

Funny, I never thought myself a feminist..

Thanks for the support all of you, wbm, risa, rafi g, jdj and a
It's nice to know that others feel the same about it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what all the hype is about and why a big brouhaha is needed. There are usually 50 or so seats on a typical intercity bus, (as opposed to the citybuses), divided into two about 24 'benches'. Each person sitting in a bench is usually in his own world and has no clue or cares what is happening in the rest of the bus. So if a lady, who does not look like a senior citizen, meaning anything looking 50 years and youngers decides to stand somewhere on a bus, then who are we (men) to ask what their problem is?

Why is it necessary to get all huffed and puffed to demand out loud for someone to get up? Why could some female not plainly quietly ask someone to move over so as not to embarrass everyone including the driver who has other things to deal with?

That's derech eretz. Is being pro-active sitting next to a guy to make him get up, or to ask him beforehand if he minds? And that is what God-fearing modest mothers should be teaching their girls - don't sit next to a man, but if you have no choice, ask him kindly to move to another seat. Modesty and humility not militancy.

The problem here seems to be with the girls. C'mon, this is not new either. Guys are clueless to understanding hints from women. If you want something, than say it.

Batya said...

Derech eretz is looking out for others, not waiting to be asked.
I can't walk in a bus while it's moving. If anyone thinks I'm hanging onto those poles for fun, then they're nuts.
Most females think they're supposed to suffer in silence, rather than ask for a seat. C'mon josh, be a mensh.

YMedad said...

I can add that I am one of the very few men that sit in the seat next to the window so that it is easier for someone to sit next to me, without them feeling as if they are intruding to ask me to move over. Unless I know that the bus is one that has very few passengers, like early in the morning, I try to be considerate (thanks to the education I received from my parents o"h and my wife). I will say though that I am sometimes insulted that women, - okay, so not the Rebbitzen, - will refuse to sit next to a man even tough the one hour trip can be arduous and end up with her falling into someone if one doesn't hold on strongly enough.

Batya said...

Good, and I trust you trained the kids right, nu?
The norm has changed. That's why I ask the men to move rather than just sit down on the buses to our area.
In the city, it's different.

Anonymous said...

Being a "bit" overweight, I really don't like sitting next to a man, since it means actual physical contact. I've had no problems when I ask a man to move (or a woman to move her packages) so I can sit. (I agree that people are often learning, reading, or sleeping, and don't notice that I'm needing a sit.) This is on inter-city buses. I'm always surprised on an intra-city Jerusalaem bus when a man sits next to me. I think, in general, people prefer to sit alone, or if that's impossible, to sit next to someone of the same gender. (And teenage girls -- or boys -- should stand if there aren't enough seats for the old women and men.)

Batya said...

That reminds me of unpleasant experiences I've had city buses, when fat men have sat next to me, who is not thin at all. The trick is to try to get the few seats which are singles.
My big complaints are about the inter-city buses that go from city to city/yishuv. You can find yourself a half hour or more without a bus stop.