Tonight I went to a feast. It was a very special and unusual feast. Food was set out for every one of the brachot. In Judaism we make different blessings before eating different kinds of food.
- There is "mezonot" we say on baked goods, like cookies.
- There is "borei p'ri hagefen" we say on wine and grape juice.
- There is "borei p'ri ha'etz" we say on fruit from trees.
- There is "borei p'ri ha'adama" we say on "annuals," vegetables grown in the ground, like carrots or cucumbers.
- There is "shehakol" we say on food not from the earth, like cheese and meat.
Tonight my neighbors and I gathered together to bless food out loud, so we could all say, Amen, and pray for special things, especially the Refuah Shleimah of our neighbor, who needs all of our prayers, so please pray for P'nina bat Sofia Zlata.
Thank you and Shabbat Shalom