Hamas War

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Doing Perfectly Fine Without The New York Times

Ever since the New York Times started its restricted use of links and reading for those who don't have paid subscriptions I've been boycotting ignoring the paper.  Yes, it's perfectly possible to post political observations, news comments etc without linking to article from the NYT.  There are plenty of other news sites; some are even just as rabidly and religiously Left.

I still get their headlines to my email account.  So I read that, and sometimes if I really want to see an article I google it and frequently find the article on a different news site.

So, if anyone is losing out, it's the New York Times, not me.  I guess that's why they just sent me a letter to try to convince me to take advantage of their latest discount to old friends like myself.

Let's see who has the last laugh...

6 comments:

Devorah said...

NYTimes has a distorted view of their own importance.
Seems to be a common trait these days :)
Is it owned by Rupert Murdoch? He wants everyone to pay to read everything he owns.

in the vanguard said...

What took you so long?
I'm sure you never had what to enjoy for what they wrote.

Batya said...

Devorah, I don't think that the Times is a Murdoch.

Van, There's more to the NYT than their editorials and news. Some of it is worth reading.

And as a political blogger, if I was stuck for an idea, I'd just go into their site and quickly and easily find an editorial or op-ed to mock.

pep said...

Last we heard, it was owned by descendent(s) of Adolf Ochs. Adolf Ochs had started the Chattanooga Times prior to his moving to NY and starting the NY times. Also, Adolf Ochs built a Synagogue in memory of his parents, Julius and Bertha Ochs, in Chattanooga, TN. This is Mizpah Congregation, Reform. You can see this information and more if you search for Adolf Ochs. And YES, I was raised in Chattanooga and did attend Mizpah Cong.

in the vanguard said...

pep, you're funny dude!

Batya said...

pep, thanks for the info