Hamas War

Friday, April 27, 2007

Impetus to Soviet Aliyah to Israel

I don't care what all the big pundits say, but I'll never forget what the many olim (immigrants to Israel) from the USSR told me.

The Chernobyl Nuclear Accident was a great impetus to make them leave the comfort of the familiarity of their homes. They worried about the health of their children, and that's why they packed up the little they were permitted to bring. The people who treasured their books were forced to desert their libraries.

I met people who had trusted family heirlooms to visiting Israelis to smuggle here. I witnessed the return of precious jewelry. The family preferred taking that chance rather than giving their ancestors' rings to the corrupt Soviet officials.

The material shortages which so shocked us in the free world didn't bother them. Soviet Jews found ways to get the food they considered important. And they enjoyed the affordable cultural events the regime provided.

But once the Soviet public realized that their children's health was in danger, they wanted out, and they came in numbers which amazed everyone.

Twenty-one years later, families are still sending their children to a healthier future in Israel with Chabad, even if they can't be with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made Aliya from France 2 years ago.
I had good times in Israel and less good times, but I know it was the right decision to come here.
I will be happy to answer any questions from people who think of doing it and give my advise to them.
Having relatives in Israel already is a big asset.
In case someone wants to find new relatives and stay in touch with the old ones, I can recommend the Israeli website www.jworld.famillion.com
Famillion is a worldwide family project connecting people across the globe, transcending borders and languages. you simply build your family tree and the system matches it with related trees and that way you connect to new or old relatives and make your family tree grow. you can also upload pictures and exchange family stories.
It s a great tool to find relatives and stay in touch with them.
So, guys, let s get all connected!!!
looking forward to receiving your comments...
Stay in touch,

Deborah

Batya said...

fine with me
everything that helps

Anonymous said...

Hi Debby,

I totally agree, life aint always easy here!
being here is more than weighing the pros and cons, if u ask me. It s a clear decision. I decided for myself to do it and I haven t had doubts about a single day.
Famillion is Israel? Ah, I didn t know that. I heard about it, but havent checked it out yet. Is it a social website, just with families???
Well, I will have a look at it!!!
cheers,
Avi