Hamas War

Monday, February 20, 2006

OK, Maybe I am Stupid

I'm not denying the possibility, and I'm sure there are all sorts of people out there and much closer who think I am.

Let me tell you what has me confused. I've been under the distinct impression that we're a country in danger. We have enemies, real ones. They attack, terrorize, murder, bomb, shoot rockets at us. This isn't a polite disagreement for diplomats to chit chat about. Our survival, very existence is at stake.

That's why I can't see the point of training Border Police and Yassamnikim (special forces units) for crowd control in soccer matches. Shouldn't they be protecting Israeli citizens from terrorists? Terrorism is a bigger danger than unruly sports fans.

Another thing that makes no sense to me is all of the investment in temporary "solutions" for the Disengagement victims. None of it is helping the victims restart their lives. At present, most find it impossible to get work and begin to recover. They live in a twilight zone of unreality. Many are still paying mortgages for homes the government destroyed. I don't know how it works in the rest of the world, but here in Israel one is penalized by the bank, which demands a high cancellation fee if you want to pay your mortgage early. So if these poor homeless people ever get their compensation, in some cases they will have to pay more to the bank than their house was worth, and then nothing will remain with which to pay for a new home.

Another thing: An absolute fortune was invested in reinforced buildings and shelters in Gush Katif to protect the residents from Arab rockets launched by the terrorists. All of this was left and destroyed when the thousands of loyal citizens were forced out of their homes last summer.

Now they're living in temporary quarters, dormitories, hotels and trailer homes. In some of the areas they were put, they are now in danger, since the PA Arabs now aim their rockets inside the "green line" where the refugees now are.

And lastly, I have trouble accepting that most of world Jewry is so disengaged from what is happening here in our Holy Land. We're all one people, and if others think that the trouble here won't affect them, I'm sorry to inform them that they are wrong.

G-d willing, we must bridge the gaps and work together.

2 comments:

KennewickMusing said...

Batya, I think you're spot on.
From my perspective half-way around the world, Israel has a big bullseye painted on it.
I have no say in Israeli politics since I don't live there, but it seems clear to me that any concession with the palis is a sign of weakness.
I just hope and pray that all will be well.

Batya said...

Thank you both.

G-d willing, we'll survive all this insanity. But it will take hard work from us all.