Israel said it was struggling to "understand the logic" of a French peace initiative favored by the Palestinians after Israeli foreign ministry officials met with a French envoy in Jerusalem on Monday.
France is lobbying for an international peace conference before May that would outline incentives and give guarantees for Israelis and Palestinians to resume face-to-face talks before August and try to end a decades-long conflict... (Reuters)
|Photo: GALI TIBBON/AFP|
I think it's important to go back a lot further than November 29, 1947, when the United Nations approved the establishment of the State of Israel to get to the root of the "conflict," sic. A little history may help.
- There have always been Jews living in the Land of Israel, even during the "exile."
- There have always been attacks on Jews by Arabs and others, such as the Crusaders, over the millennia since the end of the Jewish Kingdoms.
- With the rise of various European nationalisms, the idea of a Jewish nationalism aka Zionism began, and Jews who returned to the Land of Israel were attacked.
- When the League of Nations entrusted Great Britain with the Palestinian Mandate to establish a Jewish State, GB sabotaged it by limiting Jewish immigration and supporting the Arabs who attacked Jews.
- After the fledgling United Nations approved the establishment of a Jewish State, Britain continued its sabotage of it and its support of the Arabs.
- Miraculously, the State of Israel defeated the combined Arab forces in its War of Independence, 1948.