Hamas War

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I'm a USA Citizen Who has Never Voted in American Elections

I'd like to make things clear. I made aliyah, that means moved to Israel, the Land of Israel, the Holyland the summer when I was twenty-one 21 years old. In those days, voting in the United States was only for those twenty-one 21 years old and up. And since we left in late August, I never had the chance to vote. And since it was in 1970 (yes you can do the math and figure out my age) when there's no Presidential election, and in those days there weren't primaries, I never even thought of elections and voting.

It may be hard for people today to imagine or remember, but in 1970, there were no computers, internet, cellphones etc. In Israel there weren't even phones in many homes. To phone abroad meant going through an overseas operator, deciding whether the call should be "station to station" or "person to person." And mail was either by ship or if you paid more, by airmail.

So once we left the Port of New York, yes, by boat, American politics was firmly on the backburner.

“Nancy Reagan peeks around the polling booth as Gov. Ronald Reagan cast his vote in the 1980 Presidential election.” [Bettmann/Corbis]

Today as a very active blogger and political pundit, who is not at all shy about voicing my opinions, sometimes I think it's rather incongruous for me not to voice it where it counts in American Elections. I certainly vote in Israeli Elections.

According to American Law I do have the right and privilege to vote. I have just never exercised that privilege. The only "relationship" I still keep with the United States Government is renewing my passport. I need it to travel to see family in America. I have no desire to be in the situation wherein I am dependent on some clerk's whim for a visa, but if the United States Supreme Court ever decides that I must choose between countries, as it was until about fifty years ago when it was illegal to have dual citizenship, then, I'm an Israeli only.

On one hand I can easily admit that I haven't voted in American Elections because of inertia, laziness. It just never was my routine and would demand filling out annoying forms and then being forced to make a decision.

But I do have two very differnt ideological reasons not to vote:

  1. One is that I don't feel that it's right for me, a permanent citizen and resident of the State of Israel to vote for American elected officials. 
  2. Two is that in the decades, half a century at least, that I have been observing and following American politics, one thing I've learned. That is that party/candidate platforms are no more than misleading advertising. Politicians are people who will say anything to get elected. So, why should I bother voting, when either I'll be disappointed because my candidate will lose or if he/she gets elected I'll be upset at the actual policy which will not be the campaign platform.
These two points don't really dampen my fascination with political campaign shenanigans that go on; if anything they increase my interest.

Don't Vote

What do you think?

4 comments:

Marcel Cousineau said...

Like you I've been watching the Big Top Circus election's.

There is something different with this one. Those opposed to the arrogant one Obama and attempting to replace him to 'save America' are growing more divided than ever and at each others throat with a dark foreboding anger.
The arrogant Trump wants to replace the arrogant pathological liar Obama. This could be a catastrophic accident for the empire in meltdown.

It's not hard to see the handwriting on the wall when so many American's have such poor a poor choice of ego driven liars and protected by the media criminals like Hillary Clinton and possible first lady Billy Bubba to save America.
Everyone is looking in the wrong direction to save America.

I voted only 1 time in any elections, 1976, and it was a big mistake.
Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Life has taught me that putting any faith in the two legged ego creature of lies is a vain pursuit.
Since I have only one vote in my life, I cast it for the only One who deserves it.

Thus says the Lord,
“Cursed is the man who trusts in and relies on mankind,
Making [weak, faulty human] flesh his strength,
And whose mind and heart turn away from the Lord.
Yermeiah 17:5

Batya said...

Depressing. Between the devil and the deep blue sea

Mr. Cohen said...

“In our efforts to appease radical Islam, we accept blame for its iniquities, or blame them on Israel. We pressure Israel to offer land-for-peace, naively assuming that radical Islam will stop thirsting for our blood.

But history teaches otherwise: appeasement through territorial concession only strengthens the aggressor. In the run-up to World War II, Hitler understood this principle far better than did Chamberlain. The British Prime Minister served up Czechoslovakia to his German counterpart in exchange for peace, only to be repaid with war.

But there is an even more dangerous lesson that appeasement teaches:

It tells our enemy that there is no need to compromise with us.

Whether in Israel, Spain, or Britain, appeasement hands radical Islam all the cards and says that we will play by its rules, [and] that concessions will come from our side.”

SOURCE: They Must Be Stopped: Why We Must Defeat Radical Islam and How We Can Do It (Introduction Chapter, page 9) by Brigitte Gabriel, year 2008, year 2010, St. Martin’s Press, 288 pages, ISBN 0312571283, ISBN 9780312571283.

MICROBIOGRAPHY: Brigitte Gabriel, the author of They Must Be Stopped, is a Christian Arab, born in Lebanon. Arabic is her native language.

____________________________________________________

Please help Shurat HaDin SUE the terrorists in court:

www.IsraelLawCenter.org

Shurat HaDin wins $9.4 million in appeal against Iran for terror victims:
http://israellawcenter.org/pr/terror-victims-win-court-victory-over-iran/

Shurat HaDin successfully froze over $600 million in terrorist assets:
http://5tjt.com/bankrupting-terrorism/

Shurat HaDin’s victory for Israel on FaceBook:
www.algemeiner.com/2016/01/08/facebook-finally-caves-on-anti-israel-hate-pages/

www.causematch.com/projects/shurat-hadin-givingtuesday/

Thank you!

PS: Please check out these pro-Israel web sites:
www.camera.org * www.HonestReporting.com * www.memri.org * www.ActForAmerica.org * www.aish.com * www.IsraelLawCenter.org

Batya said...

awful