Hamas War

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Nu, Was Ethel Guilty?


Suddenly it's in the press, again, that Ethel Rosenberg hadn't been a spy for the Soviet Union--the Communists.

This all sounds so old news. I have very detailed memories of a book about the Rosenbergs which my husband and must have read decades ago. The strongest memory I have of that book is that there wasn't any proof that Ethel had done anything illegal, but the FBI decided to bluff.

The FBI figured that if they accuse Ethel, her husband, Julius, would confess his crimes, including a denial that his wife was involved. Then they would make a deal, drop charges against her and execute him.

Unfortunately for the Rosenberg sons and Truth, Justice and the American way, the Rosenbergs didn't react according to plan. Whether it was advice of their lawyers or some miss-focused idealism, the result was that both Rosenbergs were found guilty and executed. At least that's what I remember from the book.

When I read that new article, I asked my husband if he remembered the book. He told me to search Radosh, Rosenberg, and I found this.
I wonder if their sons can sue...

2 comments:

j said...

If Julius could have spared his wife's life by confessing to what he clearly was guilty of, her death is on him. The fact is that they both chose to die as martyrs to Stalinism over the welfare of their two young sons.

Batya said...

j, very good point. They were guilty of putting Stalinism over their sons.