Hamas War

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving, Reconsidered/Think Again

This post, under a different title, is cross-posted on me-ander.  It's one of those posts/articles/essays that "wrote itself" in a manner I hadn't planned at all.  I had been planning a very light, nostolgic post, like the one I had written a couple of years ago about my childhood memories of Thanksgiving, It's Not Thanksgiving If It's Not At Aunt Pauline's...  But all of a sudden I discovered I had written a totally and utterly different genre.  My facebook friends have been busy commenting on it, and bringing up very important points.  Some of you may find this post outrageous, upsetting and even "sacrilegious."  But as a Jew who lives in Shiloh the Biblical Homeland of the Jewish People, I think it's very important to differentiate between European invaders/colonialists who took over  what is today called the "Americas" and Jews returning to our historic and spiritual homeland.  Sorry, if I've ruined your appetite for the turkey and cranberry sauce.

Here it is:


I try to remind myself that every breath is a miracle.  Every morning when we wake up, we're supposed to thank G-d that He returned our soul.  Accidents happen, even fatal tragic ones, for "no logical reason."  I really do try to remember that G-d controls these "little things."

The United States has a holiday, Thanksgiving, when it's traditional to gather with family and friends for a large meal, to thank G-d for the survival of the pilgrims, colonizers, invaders.

As I remember learning, the early pilgrims were grateful to have survived the bitter conditions in the "new world" and established the holiday.  There's a myth that they feasted with local indians.  I don't know what's taught today in American schools, since there's more sensitivity to the fact that the European pilgrims, settlers were racist colonizers.  Don't choke on the turkey bones, but that's the truth.

Here in Shiloh, I feel totally at home, having returned to my, as a Jew, historic homeland.  Honestly, I find it rather offensive to celebrate that immoral/racist American holiday in the Jewish Holy Land.

Sorry, this isn't the post I had planned on writing.  The keys on the keyboard just kept pulling my fingers, and this is what came out.

15 comments:

michali said...

So why are you celebrating it in the Jewish homeland? I live in this immoral/racist country and I for sure do not celebrate it. Why should I? I need a goyishe holiday to remind me to thank Hashem?
I do it everyday.

Hadassa said...

Shalom!
Where does Batya mention that she's celebrating it? Her whole point is that she's NOT celebrating it.

Anonymous said...

I live in galut. My husband loves thanksgiving. He loves my cooking, what can I say. I've had a recurring thought lately though in my mind and that is, I don't want to 'celebrate' goyishe thanksgiving anymore. I'm a Jew in galut. I've read over and over again we're not to emulate the Gentiles by following their customs, wearing their clothes etc. So last night I told my husband we won't be celebrating thanksgiving. If he wants turkey I'll prepare it for Shabbat...Jewishly, al Kiddush Hashem. Who knows, maybe we'll be, G-d willing in Israel next year and I'll have something else on my long list to be thankful for...

Azriel said...

I find it rather repulsive that Americans consume 40 million turkeys boiled alive while the animal screams to death in fear, and pain.I cannot give thanksgiving for a country that seeks to divide Israel.

Instead I will give a thanksgiving of G-D's Eternal Kingdom of Israel;
Esaias 12

And in that day you shall say, O LORD, I will praise thee: though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me.

Behold, G-D is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also is become my salvation.

Therefore with joy shall we draw water out of the wells of salvation.

And in that day shall we say, Praise the LORD, call upon his name, declare his doings among the people, make mention that His name is exalted.

Sing unto the LORD; for he has done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.

Cry out and shout, inhabitant's of Zion: for great is the Holy One of Israel in your midst.
Shalom

Azriel said...

The United States was founded on the principle of exterminating the American Native Indians , and forcing them into slavery and starvation, while they exterminated their food supply[The buffalo] and killed their women and children, and forced the Indian to accept the white man's culture or die.

Sounds like the same plan for Israel?Thanksgiving? I thank G-D He is much stronger than evil, and any who seek to control Israel is already explained in

Zechariah 12;1The burden of the Word of the L-RD for Israel, says the L-RD, which stretches forth the heavens, and lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within Him.

2Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

3And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.


By the words of the American poet Mark Twain; History doesn't repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme! Shalom

Anonymous said...

Some pretty silly posts here.

A holiday thanking Hashem for a major good He has done for a nation is something to encourage.

I'm not talking about celebrating it in Israel.

The United States of America has been an overall boon to those who have arrived on its shores over the last 400+years. Truly a land of opportunity relative to most anywhere else on the planet.

Happy Thanksgiving, America.

Tidbits of Torah said...

Azriel, I have never heard of the goyim boiling turkeys alive! Perhaps you are thinking of the lobsters that they pick out at the seafood restaurants to have the cooks boil them in the water.

Yikes! What these creatures suffer!
Stupid goyim that do this have not a clue that they will be held accountable for making a creature suffer!

Anonymous said...

Dear tidbits,

I have never eaten lobster, nor do I recall being one in a previous gilgul.

Lobsters are cooked alive because their flesh spoils rapidly from bacteria. In this case, the goyim are doing the smart thing.

Lobsters do not have a central nervous system. The pain is relatively trivial by the time they die.

Tidbits of Torah said...

Shyguy you are mistaken. Studies show otherwise. Blow for fans of boiled lobster: crustaceans feel pain, study says

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/nov/08/animalrights.sciencenews

Batya said...

How in the world did lobster, of all things, get involved here?

Please don't forget that it took almost 300 years, from 1492 until 1776 for an independent country, the United States, to become established in "the new world." The other countries are even newer.

Anonymous said...

Guardian. Animal rights.

Ahahahahahahahahaha!

Try reading the last few paragraphs of the very same article.

Thanks for finding quack science on the Internet. Who knew!

Azriel said...

My wife watched a animal activist video here in the U.S about the abuse , and cruelty to animals for food supply. She is a vegetarian, though I am not, but after hearing about the unimaginable cruelty, it makes me not want to eat meat. Animals feel fear and pain, perhaps not to the extent we as humans do, but they still deserve dignity, and respect, and should be treated humanely before being butchered.

It was turkeys and not lobster.Who knows what they do to animals, or what they inject into them. Young children are developing premature hormonal growth from cows milk from the hormones they inject to increase body weight. I think G-D had more than traditional obedience in what Kosher should require, but was for health;spiritual, and physical.

My wife watched the video of turkeys nurturing their young, and how they were like a pet to this person who raised them. They said their IQ is equivalent to a dog.

I still believe in eating certain meat,but pray that One day; there will be no more pain in Jehovah s Kingdom;A perfect world.Shabbat Shalom

Batya said...

Azriel, I hate to ruin your story, but the kids are developing earlier (and more female) from the soy products people a giving them. Soy mimics estrogen. Stick with turkey, beef etc.

Anonymous said...

What you say is partially true, but not the whole truth. Hormones fed to animals are a big part of the equation, as are plastics etc in the environment. And many more children are drinking cow milk than soy milk on a regular basis. So don't get too gung ho about your steak just yet.

And don't forget estrogen in drinking water coming mainly from animal waste.

Batya said...

a, there are many things to blame. Just don't take it out on the Jews...