Hamas War

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Sad End to A Great Aliyah Story

This morning I received a letter from a friend of a friend with a link to an article about a young man who had made aliyah with his identical twin brother, served in the IDF, Israeli army and then returned to the states for university studies.  He was recently killed in when a drunk driver rammed into him.  That was  Avi Schaefer.  I was in shock.  I remember photographing them making aliyah when I accompanied a Nefesh B'Nefesh flight.



Yes, that's them with their proud father and younger brothers.  I don't remember all the passengers on the two planes I flew on, but I do remember them.

HaMakom y'nachem...

4 comments:

Sefardi Gal said...

Baruch Dayan Haemet. So sorry to hear... :(

Batya said...

amen

I wonder what happened to all those olim (immigrants.) There's only one I have contact with, and even that's minimal. That's Benji Lovitt from What War Zone.

Keli Ata said...

baruch dayan haemet.

What a terrible loss:( I can't imagine what his family and friends are going through.

Batya said...

amen
The father was so visibly proud of his sons' aliyah. Most of the young people off to Israel were alone, without anyone to send them off.