Hamas War

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Gush Katif Museum, Much Better

I'm very pleased to report that the Gush Katif Museum today is much, much better than the museum I had visited a few days after its opening in August.






The exhibits which had been the least successful/useful/informative were gone, as was the person who had been running it.

The museum now makes more effort to emphasis the wonderful, rich Jewish life there once was in Gush Katif. That makes its destruction due to Disengagement all the more painful.

Just like I had attempted during my previous visit, I voiced a few suggestions to the person in charge. But this time, instead of rolling his eyes and making it clear that he knew better, the new staff listened attentively and eagerly.

I'm glad that I spoke to him before seeing the movie. The movie, by Kobi Sela, is about his sister Liat Lopez and family who had lived in Gush Katif. When the movie ended, we couldn't speak. It was heart-wrenching.

The Gush Katif Museum is on Shaare Tzeked Street, near the corner of Agrippas. Entrance was NS10.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to know. I was there in November and I found it very powerful but I didn't have an insider's view.

Batya said...

I don't know when the changes began, but it seems like it's worth visiting every few months and taking people there, too.