Hamas War

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Making Plans with Fear in the Air

Deja vu, again, isn't it?

Palestinians in Gaza celebrate terrorist attacks in Israel
 Abed Rahim Katib/Flash 90

Just like during the war the government kept calling an "operation" because "war" has certain connotations and financial commitments, this war aka "intifada" is being called a "wave of terror." I just hate the linguistic games governments play. I also think it's pretty dumb and counter-productive when parents say "soon" for a long time as if kids will think that they'll be away less than "more." In such families "soon" really means "a long time." That's because children learn language from its usage.

Car terror attack in Jerusalem
Hadas Parushl/Flash 90
So whatever the government "branders," marketing and PR experts decide to call the daily killing by Arabs of innocent Jews, it's still a war. It's an urban guerilla war aka terrorism. The Arabs aim to kill and destroy us, and the only way to defend ourselves as a country is to destroy them, their infrastructure and everything.

Yesterday after hearing enough awful newscasts I wrote the following on my facebook page:
Here we go again...If you don't defeat the enemy and take away their power and support they will just keep rising up like weeds.We totally goofed in in 1967, because we didn't act as true victors.I guess this should be the beginning of a blog post...
Today I begin this new year's studying in Matan. I'd been wracking my brain trying to figure out whether or not to go to Jerusalem the night before, sleep over and then start classes rather alert. Or should I sleep at home, then get up ridiculously early and doze off during classes.

Going to Jerusalem and wandering around is usually something I love to do, but wandering around is not what you do when there are frequent daily terror attacks, although there is no real defense. You can't predict them. And as massive as they seem when you're watching television or checking the news, it's not like there are attacks in every city on every corner.

The vast majority of the country is untouched, perfectly quiet and peaceful. Even though Israel is a small country, it's not all that small.

I survived a terror attack almost twenty years ago. I emerged from the initial shock less scared. We have no control. If we're meant to die, Gd will find a way for that to happen, whether an accident, a terror attack or an illness.

I am not going to lock myself at home. I will go on with my usual plans, work and studies. Gd willing all will be well.

Let's just pray for a רפואה שלמה refuah shleimah, complete recovery to the injured. And most important we must pray that our politicians in power get true wisdom!!

3 comments:

Netivotgirl said...

Wonderful post, Batya! Short, to the point and spot on. You wrote, "I am not going to lock myself at home. I will go on with my usual plans, work and studies. G-d willing all will be well." I agree!!! At first I was in shock. Then I said to myself "Heck! This is just like the rockets you've lived with! Hashem ya'azor!" I went shopping for my bridal gemach yesterday in Beer Sheva (full of Bedouin and Arabs,) very aware of surroundings and showing self confidence. Let THEM be afraid; this is OUR HOME!Praying this ends sooner rather than later!Kudos my dear!

Batya said...

Thanks so muvh. They will not break us!

Sammy Finkelman said...

>> I will go on with my usual plans, work and studies.

Like the British in London during the bombing, and like Giuliani wanted New Yorkers to do after September 11th,