Hamas War

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Fires in the Fields

It was rather strange to see black smoke coming out of the fields on our drive to Jerusalem from Netivot.


I had been trying to photograph the gorgeous sunset.



What happens down south in Israel? Since unlike the reports of fires in the rest of the country, I hadn't heard anything in the news.

I know that Israelis do have a strange, to my New York mind, and dangerous custom of burning weeds, even in residential areas, like Shiloh. It drives me nuts when there are fires in gardens, but there's no way I can stop it. My neighbors say that it keeps the snakes away.

Does anyone know more?

10 comments:

miryam heiliczer said...

Yes, we all thought it strange, didn't we? When we got closer, it did not appear to be a controlled fire. Definitely suspect.

Batya said...

No one seemed concerned but us and we did not see firefighting equipment

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

Arabs set fire to the Jerusalem Forest at least once every summer without fail, and we get the smoke since we live nearby.

I don't smell the smoke this time, though, so it must be something different. A similar situation might be happening to you.

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

...or near you.

Batya said...

CDG, right now there is an enormous fire approaching Ein Kerem. Gd willing our firemen will succeed in putting it out quickly.

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

Yes. I just got back with my husband from an air-conditioned venue; he told me about it. I just read some more, and they have not ruled out arson. I smell smoke now, too. Officials 'Looking Closely' at Jerusalem Blaze; Arson Suspected

Thanking HaShem that I'm not so close to Ein Kerem...

Batya said...

Frightening. Where do you live?

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

Sorry I'm late with this. I live in Kiryat Moshe, across the forest from where the fires were, I believe.

HDG, Yerushalayim, E"Y Shlemah said...

I appreciate your concern, Batya. Thank you.

Batya said...

Very dangerous and it happens every summer