Hamas War

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Aliyah To The Land of Israel At 89




Less than a week ago, my father and I boarded an El Al plane to Israel.  It was 39 years, one month and ten days (on the goyish calendar) after my husband and I boarded the Greek Lines ship which took us to Israel.

With the help of Nefesh B'Nefesh, JAFI (the Jewish Agency,) Israeli Consulate officials and lots of Siyate D'Shmaya, help from the Almighty, the clerical process took no more time than it had taken me and my husband to cross the oceans from New York to Haifa Port, Israel. Especially when you consider that it was the Succot Holiday, when only a minimal staff was working, this was a record-breaking effort.









My mother still hasn't been able to join us, but G-d willing she will.


The flight was great, and the special service was special, just the way it should be.  It's never too late to make aliyah, but it still is easier when you're young.  But at this stage in life for my parents, having so many of their grandchildren and all their great-grandchildren here is unbeatable.

10 comments:

Leora said...

Look forward to reading more posts about your father. He looks happy! Hope it all goes well for him, your mom and for you.

Risa Tzohar said...

Welcome HOME!!!!

goyisherebbe said...

I know what my wife went through bringing her parents on aliya with her mother on her last legs. She passed away a couple of months later but my father-in-law has moved on, lives in the Neve Amit senior residence in Ramat Eshkol, has made new friendships and is going to ulpan at the age of 86. He was in the Bielski Bros. partisan group during the war. Kol ha-kavod to you for executing this maneuver. I know it wasn't easy.

Batya said...

Leora, Risa, goyish, thanks for your support and good wishes. At my father's age, everyday is a miracle no matter how strong and healthy he seems.

josh said...

Good news :-)

Lady-Light said...

Your father making Aliyah at 89: PRICELESS.
(in other matters, I finally am posting on the Super Power Meme; linked you. better late than never...)

ellen said...

Beautiful! What more can I say?

Batya said...

ll, Thanks
I had forgotten about the meme, as obviously my mind has been dealing with other things.

Ellen, I'm more surprised than anyone.

kiva said...

wow! If your dad can do this, I guess I have been worrying for nothing. I am 60 (female) and pretty much alone in the world. Out of nowhere the idea of making Aliyah came to me, and even my low-tech self managed to find your post. All things are possibly possible. Good luck to you all. Kiva

Batya said...

good luck!