Hamas War

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hamas comparison

Nathan's post about Hamas reminds me of one of the times I embarrassed my husband. We used to entertain journalists and embassy staff a lot. We were definitely on the list of "must visit," but that's more in the past. Nowadays he doesn't usually take them home, or he tells me that I'm not "needed."

This happened almost fifteen years ago. We were hosting an official of the American consulate, and my husband brought up the sensitive subject:
"Why do you invite local Arabs to various official events, but you don't invite Jews from the yishuvim?"

His answer: "But we don't invite Hamas terrorists either."

Well, I blew up: "Are you comparing us with the terrorists who murdered my friend Rachella Druk, who's buried just past that house in our cemetery?!"

They started inviting us to the annual 4th of July event, where the most kosher of the food is the Hagen Daz ice cream. And I don't speak to too many journalists, especially since the time I refused to pose for the camera serving my family food. The consulate/embassy people don't meet me much either. And some years I don't go to the 4th of July event, since it falls during the "three weeks" between the 17th of Tammuz and the 9th of Av when attending festive events is forbidden.

No comments: