Hamas War

Sunday, June 5, 2005

another unnumbered musing

This is based on some posts to a Jewish email list we've been members of for years, Mail Jewish. Actually it predates our having email at home. My husband used to bring me printouts and I would write my replies; then he would send them off from his office.

Recently, there was lots of heated discussion about women saying the Kaddish prayer for the dead. A number of women wrote that they made great efforts to get to synagogues and minyon at least once a day. And some others wrote that it's not acceptable and contradicts the role of women in Judaism.

Just recently one of the anti sent a post saying that for proper modesty, women should be "home." Well, I couldn't resist it. I wrote asking if that's the case, why do the Chareidim (those who consider themselves most religious) send their wives out to work, while they stay in the safe haven of their yeshivot.

Yes, I do have a problem with the entire Chareidi life style. I don't consider it very Jewish. They've adopted the standards of monks and priests, just adding sex and kids. Even their black cloth kippot, skullcaps, are in order to hide their Jewishness. This is the opposite of the proud, colorful crocheted ones which they look down upon. And their preference for their wives in wigs, rather than scarves and hats.

And in Israel, they treat the rest of us as "cannon fodder," refusing to serve in the army, even though traditionally and according to Jewish Law, serving is a mitvah.

2 comments:

Cosmic X said...

"And in Israel, they treat the rest of us as "cannon fodder," refusing to serve in the army, even though traditionally and according to Jewish Law, serving is a mitvah."

Batya,

As one who served in the army, I understand very well why the Haredim do not want to send their kids there. I'm surprised that at this point in time you are putting aside time for Haredi bashing. Adaraba, if you think about it you may find that there is a lot to learn from the Haredim.

Batya said...

Based on some of the things Rav Elchanan Bin Nun said yesterday, about the two-pronged "naaseh v'nishma" we will do and we will listen, the spiritual and active/kinesthetic of Judaism, my feeling is that if the Chareidim hadn't rejected the state in 48, everything would have been better today, including the army.

And my husband and sons have all been in the army; I know what goes on.