Hamas War

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Drill

Posted from my phone

Yesterday was the big nationwide security drill in Israel. We were supposed to calmly and quickly rush for shelter.

I was in Jerusalem for both sirens. They were ignored.

Maybe in other places people took them seriously.

Ironic. Pre 1967 War Israel Jerusalem was in constant danger. You can still see the bullet holes in reconstructed buildings in Mamilla Mall and other former border areas.

Just now I heard a clip of Obama saying that he finds Netanyahu's conditions for a Palestinian state a trick of sorts. True.

For the dangers of a Palestinian state there is no drill. And that is our greatest danger.

5 comments:

CDG, Yerushalayim said...

My across-the-hall neighbor, a Hebrew speaker, thought that the evening drill was the real thing. I met her and the children out in the hall underneath the stairway.

My normal "safe spot" - if you can call it that - is my husband's office, which has no outside windows. We are on the top floor, so any rocket hitting there can pierce our apartment rather easily.

I took the drill seriously. Too many real dangers out there, and I didn't want to be on the phone (I work then, also) while sirens were blaring.

Batya said...

you are correct. Considering the few seconds we would have if it had been for real we would have to pray that following others would bring us to safety.

Anonymous said...

I think they are gearing up for a fireworks show this summer. Anyrate Batya, please check your "other" messages on your FB page. Be well.

Batya said...

a, could be, will do, thanks

Anonymous said...

Please do whatever you must to remain safe. Those tzeva adom alarms aren't drills at all.

Keliata


I don't know how Israelis regard such drills but from my perspective any drill in Israel is too scary to take lightly.