Hamas War

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Bibi's U.N. Speech Could have Been Better

David Bedein posted an excellent article explaining how he would have changed Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's latest United Nations Speech.
From his speech, we can extrapolate the same words & Principles that the PM used against Iran and apply them to the PL0.
SUGGESTED OPENING TEXT FOR NETANYAHU'S NEXT UN APPEARANCE: Today, our hope for the future is challenged by the PLO, which seeks our destruction. But in 1964, the PLO was established by the Arab League as a radical organization determined to stamp out any possibility of friendship between Arabs and Jews. Arafat was a wolf in wolf's clothing and Abbas is a wolf in sheep's clothing - a wolf who thinks he can pull the wool over the eyes of the international community. Abbas condemns terrorism. Yet Abbas uses the media outlets and education system at his disposal to promote demonization and war against the state and people of Israel. Abbas's record flatly contradicts Abbas's soothing rhetoric. Abbas has adopted a charm offensive, based on the following process: First, smile a lot. Smiling never hurts. Second, pay lip service to peace, democracy and tolerance. Abbas's fanaticism is not bluster. It's real.
I would have made some more changes.  I would have taken the following section:
And Israel continues to seek an historic peace with our Palestinian neighbors, one  that ends our conflict once and for all.  We want a peace based on security and mutual recognition in which a demilitarized Palestinian state recognizes the Jewish state of Israel.  I remain committed to achieving an historic conciliation and building a better future for Israelis and Palestinians alike.
Now, I have no illusions about how difficult this will be to achieve.  Twenty years ago, the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians began.  Six Israeli Prime Ministers, myself included, have not succeeded in achieving peace with the Palestinians.  My predecessors were prepared to make painful concessions.  So am I.
But so far, Palestinian leaders haven't been prepared to offer the painful concessions they must make to end the conflict.  For peace to be achieved, the Palestinians must finally recognize the Jewish state and Israel's security needs must be met.  I am prepared to make an historic compromise for a genuine and enduring peace.  But I will never compromise on the security of my people and of my country of the one and only Jewish state.

And here is how I would say/write it; my changes are in bold/italic:
And even though Israel continues to seek an historic peace with our Palestinian neighbors, one  that ends our conflict once and for all.  We want a peace based on Jewish Israeli sovereignty and when all the residents, including the Arabs recognize the Jewish state of Israel.  I remain committed to achieving an historic conciliation and building a better future for Israelis and Arabs alike.
Now, I have no illusions about how difficult this will be to achieve.  Twenty years ago, the peace process between Israel and the Palestinians began.  Six Israeli Prime Ministers, myself included, have not succeeded in achieving peace with the Palestinians.  My predecessors were prepared to make painful concessions.  So was I but I now realize the foolishness and futility.
Because so far, Palestinian sic Arab  leaders don't want peace.  The don't want  to end the conflict.  For peace to be achieved, the Palestinians must finally recognize the Jewish state and Israel's security needs must be met.  I am prepared to make an historic compromise for a genuine and enduring peace.  But I will never compromise on the security of my people and of my country of the one and only Jewish state.


And here's PM Netanyahu giving his speech at the United Nations General Assembly:


No comments: