Hamas War

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Let's See More Students Touring Jerusalem and Women and Others Visiting and Praying in Shiloh

Twenty years ago when my eldest was doing her national service in Kiryat Shmoneh (a development town-city in northern Israel,) she reported to us that many teachers and parents objected to school trips to Israel's Capital City, Jerusalem.  So, here we are a generation later, things haven't changed much.  The Education Ministry is still trying to get Israeli students to Jerusalem.  Israel is a small country and it's possible for all students, except in the area of Eilat, to make a day trip of touring Jerusalem.  A tour of Jerusalem must include the ancient, Biblical and religious aspects along with a view of the Knesset.  Too many Israelis don't visit Jerusalem, aren't familiar with it at all.

Another place which should be on the must see itinery is Shiloh.  It was our capital city before King David moved everything to Jerusalem where he wanted to build the Beit HaMikdash, Holy Temple.  That was later built by his son, King Solomon.

Today there's a vibrant Jewish community in Shiloh and facilities for tourists at the ancient Tel Shiloh.


Shiloh was the Capital for 369 years, from the time of Joshua until the Prophet Samuel and King Saul, yes, the period of the Judges.  It was Shiloh where Chana prayed for a son who would lead the Jewish People out of their cycle of sin and be saved and then sin again.  Her son was Samuel the Prophet, who annointed our first two kings, Saul and David.


Today it is posible to come to the same Shiloh and walk on the same stones as our ancestors.  I've been announcing Women's Prayers on Rosh Chodesh (the first of the Jewish Lunar Month) for the past few years.  The next will be very soon:

Rosh Chodesh Adar I Women's Prayers Tel Shiloh
תפילת נשים
ראש חודש אדר א
תל שילה
יום ו' 4-2 9:30
...יהיה דבר תורה
Friday Feb. 4 9:30am
There will be a Dvar Torah
כולן מוזמנות. נא להזמין אורחות מחוץ לשילה
Please spread the word.
It's possible to go by bus or drive

Shiloh,Israel


Tel Shiloh, Rosh Chodesh Tammuz, June, 2009

To contact the tourist office telshilo@gmail.com or call 02-994-4019

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I confess I've never been to Shiloh and have now made a mental note to visit.

However, the essential problem is that if the government and the people do not wish to reign sovereign over our own country, they won't come.

We need a big zetz from above!

Batya said...

Shy, I must admit to being shocked. How could you have never visited Shiloh? Please call/email and let's make plans.

I disagree with your last line. It must come from the people. During the Gulf War, there were people who came to Shiloh for a safe refuge, even leaving children. Will residents of Tel Aviv hide out in Samaria when the Arabs attack them?

Nasch said...

You're so right. When I used to live in the old city, I had some native Israeli friends who thought it was too dangerous to visit there.

I also remember being surprised that so many natives would ask me the way to the kottel. I just couldnt believe they'd never been there before.

And we have friends in Shiloh, so I've been there many times. But I must admit, I'm not sure if I would have visited if it wasnt for them. Most of my touring I did with my Midrasha, and Shiloh isnt on their list. Don't know why, maybe cause most chutznik parents wouldnt be to happy with going there, though we did go to maharat hamachpela.

Batya said...

Yes, Nasch, so you can help tell people that it's plenty safe and pleasant.
thanks

Anonymous said...

I just want to stress that my family and I go all over the place in YOSH. I just have not been to Shiloh.

Security is not the issue.

Batya said...

OK, shy, I expect to see you in Shiloh. I promise not to identify you in a picture. OK?

Anonymous said...

You'll never know I was there. :)

Batya said...

no f2f?

Anonymous said...

You'll just never know it was me.