Hamas War

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Visiting the States, Subjects to Avoid

Considering that I'm the "family rebel" of my large Jewish family, I have to be careful about what I say to my various, all wonderful, relatives.  Oh, why am I known as the "rebel?"  That's easy. I became religious, strictly Orthodox, Torah observant when others were rapidly deleting Jewish Laws and restrictions from their lives.  Many of my relatives and my husband's are very Jewish minded, whatever that means, and make efforts to be part of their local Jewish communities, generously contributing in many ways.  But when it comes to Shabbat and kosher food, it's a different story.

Of course, my moving to Israel has set me apart, too.  And we do see things differently when it comes to politics.  Some relatives can see through the Obama marketing-hardsell, while others are among the majority of American Jews who worship him, like their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents worshipped FDR. Of course all that was for very different reasons.

The next stage of my visit to the states will be among the Obama fans, so I'm going to have to zip my lips beyond my usual.

As I've blogged before, I have no doubt that if Barack Hussein Obama had inherited his mother's skin he never would have been elected.  The novelty of his color was the chief marketing "gimmick."  Many times I've asked people:
"What was his track record, experience to qualify him to be the United States President?"
They counter with:
"What did he do wrong?"
The fact that it takes experience to be a good president seems lost to them.  It reminds me of what I've seen election after election here in Shiloh. The candidates who are the least known win.  No doubt that they hadn't yet made enemies, so people are willing to risk putting unknowns in positions of power.

Good luck world.

3 comments:

in the vanguard said...

You counter them with:
"What did he do right?"

Keli Ata said...

This electian it turns out will focus heavily on the economy which way too boring for me. So if relatives ask why I am not voting for Obama I stick to 2 issues--his silence on the bloody violence on the students in Iran after the rigged election.

#2--Obama going to Berlin and saying, "Berlin, this is our moment."
Followed shortly by support for Jerusalem to remain one, only to restract the statement 24-hours later...After Hamas complained.

I just keep it that simple.

Batya said...

van, good point
Keli, unemployment, economy, that's what Americans care about, no?