Hamas War

Thursday, May 3, 2007

With this map...

...it's a little easier to explain things.


It doesn't show the roads, but it does show Shiloh, Ofra and Beit El.

I live in Shiloh and work in Beit El. The road from Shiloh to Jerusalem passes Ofra and keeps going south, not west. Beit El is to the west. There's a T Junction, called Givat Asaf, where Asaf Hershkowitz was murdered a couple of months after his father's murder, a few kilometers further south.

We have buses going north south, and Beit El has buses going to a from Jerusalem, but there isn't a bus "hub" at Givat Asaf. That means that I have to hitchhike.

That's the reality of my life. I do not get transportation from work. I get "bus fare," but there are no buses. It would take hours to go further south, near Jerusalem, change buses and come back. Buses are very infrequent. I don't work 8 hour days. As it is I spend almost as much time "traveling" as teaching, and on my short day, I spent much more time getting to and from than in the classroom.

The problem is not that we hitchhike.
The problem is that there are Arab terrorists who want to murder us. They must be stopped, not us!!

11 comments:

wendy said...

The map really does explain. I worry about you travelling. Be safe.

Batya said...

Thanks Wendy
I didn't know that you read Shiloh Musings also.

Anonymous said...

I can email you a current road map... I'm doing a project for a neighbor (I live in Maale Levona) and needed to scan in current road maps.

benning said...

I have to ask: Do you travel armed? There are places in my neighborhood where I would not walk, nor hitch-hike, without a weapon. They're safe during normal business hours, but no honkey should wander alone in them after that. And I'm not talking a big city, but Largo and Clearwater in Florida.

I wish I had an answer for your trouble, but you know what good they would be, and it still takes political courage to implement such measures. None is evident here, and you see little, if any, in Israel.

Stay safe!

Batya said...

Thanks, Kmelion, good idea.

armed with a smile, benning, in all seriousness

It's not a dangerous as people like to think. Different dangers different places.

Anonymous said...

what can i say other then the פסוק
כי מלאכיו יצוה לך לשמרך מכל רע
ה' ישמרך מכל רע

Batya said...

thanks nuch

Anonymous said...

from USA 11-17-2008
Thank you for the map. I looked high and low for a map that showed Shiloh in relation to Ramallah.
I was interested in Shiloh because of the bible passage Hosea 5:12
As I understand Ephraim is hills surrounding Shiloh.
Hopefully, Shiloh will not be abandoned by the Israeli "peace" process.

Batya said...

Thanks a, but you should know that the aim of the "peace" process is our destruction.

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading David Rubin's book, GOD,ISRAEL and SHILOH for the second time. It is a testimony of true courage and God's providence. My prayer is that NO MORE communities be ripped up as what happened especially in Gaza - but other places too. Be strong and of good courage, for the Lord thy God is with you...

Batya said...

Thanks