Hamas War

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Seriously???

It seems like people have actually taken this seriously. It was never meant that way.

It's an elaboration (drash) on the classic joke about the nations/religions reacting to the announcement that there will be a flood to rival the one during Noah's time.


The Americans hope to make spaceships large enough to take a good portion of the population to another world. The British plan to build floating islands for its population, and the Jews... "We just have to learn to live underwater."
A good friend described my post as "surreal." To me the announcements of the politicians, media and military are even less real.

If you go through my old posts, you'd see that I've been ranting about how there is no battle plan to destroy terrorism. They use words like "diminish" and reduce. There is this totally illogical, unrealistic and dangerous idea that one can just "live with it," by building more shelters, more "secure rooms."

I'll tell you about something that happened here in the beginning of 1974 or the very end of 1973, just after the Yom Kippur War. I used to listen to the English radio broadcasts. Around 1pm there was a half hour show, usually including an interview.

One day I heard someone I was acquainted with, Essy Ben-David, who had also been a Folk Dance leader at the Israeli Dance Festival in New York. She and her husband, Benny, who was a high school friend of my husband, were recent immigrants along with their three young sons. They were living in Ramat Hamagshimim, in the Golan Heights.

One of the questions she was asked was about security. She told them about the security rooms built into every house. I've never forgotten her words:

"My husband says that it's so strong that if a missile lands in the livingroom, we won't be touched."
Well, you may not know this, but a few weeks later, when she was out walking with her youngest son, a missile killed her. Her son survived.

Besides G-d of course, the only way to be safe is to destroy terrorism, and that means destroying the terrorists and those who support them, whether actively or passively.

I'm very serious about that!

No comments: