Hamas War

Friday, April 8, 2016

Nothing More Long-Lasting than "Temporary" or a "Narrow Coalition"

Oct. 20, 2012 - Source: Lior Mizrahi/Getty Images Europe
All this talk that has been in the news all over the world, including of late Yahoo!News, about the fragility of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's latest coalition. It hangs on the thread of just one seat/MK, which is as narrow as a coalition can be, 61 vs 59.

Most political pundits have been predicting its immediate demise/collapse from day one.
This reminds me of my most long-lasting job. Yes, of course it was offered as a "temporary job." We had been here in Shiloh barely a year. Soon after we arrived I tried to get the person in charge of afternoon children's activities to allow me to teach Creative Dance, which I had been teaching in Jerusalem for two years before our move. Yes, I was one of the very first to offer such classes in Jerusalem in the late 1970's. The year before we moved to Shiloh I had also taught a women's exercise class, aerobics before such "exercise to music" was branded/marketed as such.  The coordinator rejected my offer, because she wanted ballet and ballet only. My specialty was Modern Dance, which I had studied for many years in New York. My Creative Dance lessons combined that with Israeli Folk Dance, Improvisation basic fitness etc. But Ballet was never on my menu/curriculum. Finally in 1982, just before the school year began, I was asked to be the Physical Education aka Gym Teacher for the girls in our school. The supervisor from the Ministry of Education had complained that although it was a required subject, our students weren't learning it. Someone on the school committee remembered that I had wanted to teach dance, so that seemed close enough to PE. I was told it would be "temporary" until a "real teacher" showed up in the area. I taught gym for thirteen 13 years. I never certified, since there wasn't a program for it offered to me. And I ended up leaving the position for reasons not quite related to my qualifications, but that's another story... 
With that bit of personal history under my belt, I agree with those who say that the latest Bibi coalition is full of politicians who are enjoying their power and don't want to give it up/share it with a larger number of MKs.

So far, the coalition is holding. Time will tell. What do you think?

No comments: