Hamas War

Sunday, May 15, 2005

HEVEL HAVELIM!!! #20

Sorry about the problems, and if there are still foul-ups, please let me know.

Hevel Havelim celebrates Yom Ha’atzma’ut and remembers those who fought to give and preserve Israel’s Independence!

One of the unique things in Israeli tradition is that the day before Independence Day is Memorial Day. They are connected, and the classic national and community ceremonies commemorate those who built the country and then immediately break into joyous fireworks to celebrate independence. This parallels the Jewish day, which begins with the stars of night.

That’s why I’m starting with a site that I recently discovered; it tells us about the unsung
heroes of Israeli History. One of those heroes was Dov Gruner, who was hung by the British, as eulogized by A Simple Jew.

To understand Memorial Day, let's start with
Lazer Beams's reflections.

Mozemen’s Bluesgives her opinion about Memorial Day.

I
reminisced about a safer, more innocent time on Memorial Day.

On
Rishon Rishon we learn some important linguistics. I was glad to see that Israpundit had a link for Yehudit Tayar’s The Spirit of Our People.

Here are Yom Ha'atzma'ut
prayers from Am Echad. And something perfect from Not Quite Perfect.

Soccer Dad gives us a beautiful and necessary history lesson.

Elder of Ziyon reminds us why we should be proud to be Zionists.

Ouside the Blogway reminds us to be grateful and proud of Israel's accomplishments.

Mystical Paths writes on Yom Ha’atzma’ut and the State of Israel. And there’s also a post about something more “mystical” and another Chassidic story.

Boker Tov, Boulder posts a great Yom Ha’atzma’ut celebration.

Biur Chametz asks us a riddle . And Cosmic X has a lot to say about this year’s dilemmas. Sha! has some interesting ideas.

Fundamentally Freund gets philosophical. Dov Bear asks us if we’re wearing blue and white. From SklarO World we have a great photo montage.

And more photos at
Treppenwitz . My baby spent a lot of time in their Pina Chama. Now my boys are both out of the army, but I still looked carefully for them in every picture. And I want to take this opportunity to thank all those involved in such chessed.

If you need to get away from politics, see
Fred’s pictures. There’s a really spectacular one for Yom Ha’atzma’ut! I must admit that I asked him to make it up just for this. Thanks, Fred!

And since I mentioned flags,
here's is what I did with the free ones from Bank Leumi.

Read
Willow Green, and maybe you can be part of a family reunion.

Blognitive Dissonence reminds us of the similarities between peoples, especially women trying to get divorced .


Don't forget that men can make challah, too.


This may not be your classic blog, but it’s Jewish and gets delivered by cybermail. The Gantseh Megillah is an interesting magazine that includes articles and links on everything Jewish.

And before I finish, does anybody know why I’ve added
this link? That's what comments are for!





And don’t forget the
BLOG BURST.

Thanks to all who've helped with this, and if I've left anything out, please add in the comments.

For the next edition, check with
Soccer Dad in the upper left hand corner of his blog.

Cross-posted , since I'm Gemini; yes, there's a birthday coming up...

No comments: