Hamas War

Friday, October 20, 2023

Israel Attacked by Hamas 2023/5784, War Musings #2 Off With the News

 


For a news junky like myself, such a decision can be called sacrilegious for sure. To be honest, I do check in periodically to get an idea of what's actually happening, but I don't think watching/listening to the "news" is a good idea. 

For one... I find myself yelling:
STUPID! 
THAT'S IDIOTIC
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS
WHY SHOULD YOU BELIVE THAT CLOWN etc.
Another thing is that I miss the more innocent time pre-cellphone and social media. During the rather devastating 1973 Yom Kippur War, Israeli television was in its infancy and we didn't have one. Many Israelis didn't even have telephones. Computers, tablets and cellphones were from the world of science fiction, definitely make-believe. That innocence kept us saner than today. 

We barely heard accurate news of casualties. There were quick burials and then after the war was over the dead soldiers were reinterred. Only during that difficult postwar time did we discover what really happened. The disadvantage was that instead of celebrating our victory, people mourned. 

Now we're burying, mourning and fighting all at once. In addition there are the stories of soldiers taken from the front to attend their own weddings. It's all rather insane and schizophrenic. I guess it suits the mentality and culture of the day, but it's hard for me.

I think that there's too much said in public, on the news and in private conversations. 

Lastly, too many tv and radio shows are like "backseat drivers." Everyone's so smart, smarter than the government and generals. I also am, but I don't think all this talk should be in the media. You know what they say about loose tongues.

May we listen to Gd and not the Americans! The last time they won a real war was seventy 70 years ago, and they've never even fought a war for their survival. We're the experts and Gd Almighty.

We need Gd's help for sure, and we must work hard to deserve it.

Shabbat Shalom U'Mevorach

No comments: