Hamas War

Friday, May 18, 2007

We're guilty because of miracles?

This morning a reporter from a major foreign newspaper sat at my cluttered diningroom table interviewing my husband, while I cooked. No great surprise. I couldn't keep my mouth shut, and I wasn't eating.

As I explained:


"Like many women, I multi-task."
I highly doubt that he had expected me to participate, ok--butt in, the way I did. When I "coach" people in the art of being interviewed, I stress that we have the right to refuse questions, not in terms of "the fifth amendment," but in terms of:

"That question is badly worded."
"Your premise is incorrect."
and things like that

Today's interview was difficult, because I was the "third wheel" and couldn't respond to everything.

There was a recurring theme which bothered me tremendously. The Arab attacks are considered minor nuisances by the world press and international diplomats, since G-d is always performing miracles. Very few Israelis have been killed or injured.

It's a classic "good news--bad news" scenario, but it's no joke. The good news is that G-d keeps saving us, and the bad news is that the world uses those statistics to "prove" that the Arabs are "harmless."

Remember what happened during the Gulf War, when Daddy Bush was US President?

Dozens of scud missiles were launched at Israel and landed in major population centers. Some homes and businesses were damaged. Few were destroyed. And if I'm not mistaken, the Israeli who died, died of a heart attack. And considerably few Israelis were even injured.

At the same time one of the same type of scud missiles hit American Army barracks and over a dozen American soldiers were killed. (It's close to Shabbat, so I don't have time to google for exact numbers.)

According to the "laws of nature," hundreds or at least dozens of Israelis should have died from the barrage of Iraqi missiles, but G-d performed miracles.

For years in Gush Katif, before Disengagement, rockets were launched at the communities and fell there. There was some damage and only a couple of deaths. Miracles happened all the time, but because of those miracles, people in Israel and all over the world refused to recognize that the Arabs were trying to murder Jews.

Consider all of the Arab attacks on Israel to the north, south and more. Casualties have been less than expected, Baruch Hashem, thank G-d. But because of G-d's miracles we are being victimized in a different way.

The Arabs are trying to destroy our country.
We are in danger.
We must use G-d's miracles to get stronger, not to cringe in shelters.

Shabbat Shalom and Chodesh Tov!

No comments: