Hamas War

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

DISENGAGED

Musings #106
March 22, 2005
11th of Rosh Chodesh Adar Bet

Disengaged

I must admit; I try to stay disengaged from the news. Unfortunately it’s hard to do. Like the bird with his head in the sand to avoid air pollution but gets sick from the contaminated dirt, try as I might to avoid it, I am forced to listen when traveling/tremping in vehicles not my own.

Just today, for instance, I heard a newscast that put thoughts in my head that could get me arrested. The reporters were reporting, with such admiration, how the government was meticulously planning how to disengage Jews from their homes in Gush Katif and Northern Shomron. They stressed the professionally detailed procedures that not only included the humane removal of animals, but the timing of the funerals for all the bodies that will be ripped out of their graves and transferred to new ones in other cemeteries. The staff qualified to do this very sensitive job is limited in the amount they can handle per day. Remember that this must be dignified; respect the dead.

These newscasters are so professional, so disengaged from the strong emotions troubling others. They mentioned the debates among the government officials as to what to do to the homes, stores, schools, factories and other buildings that would remain in the Judenrein territories. Apparently the experts believe that it would be best to destroy them totally, like what was done to Yamit and the agricultural communities that populated the Sinai until Menachem Begin decided to give it all away.

Do you know why these buildings must be razed totally? Did you think like I did that it was to keep the terrorists from enjoying them? No, I was wrong. It was to keep the refugees from having something to return to.

And then they discussed the expensive infrastructure “the Israelis” built in the area. Yes, the broadcast was in Hebrew, Kol Yisrael, and they used the words: “HaYisraelim,” “the Israelis.” Totally disengaged from being personally connected with Israel.

I felt like I was participating in an episode of “Twilight Zone.”
I knew that the media and many of the politicians were disengaged from our Land, but I still thought that they considered themselves Israelis. Apparently I’m naïve. This is just a few days after their pro-disengagement demonstration where the slogan “A settler is not my brother,” was prominently heard. “The demonstration was planned in conjunction with the Prime Minister's strategic advisors. They examined promotional messages, the wording of signs and the language used in advertising…”
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArtVty.jhtml?sw=pro+disengagement+demonstration&itemNo=553715 Apparently, it wasn’t an easy demonstration to pull off, since even their most prominent fans preferred a soccer match.

Believe me this isn’t a Purim Spiel.

Just like no fiction can beat the surprises, twists and ironies of true life, today’s news reports are traumatic in their unexpectedness. “Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.” Mark Twain,
http://www.bartleby.com/66/33/62133.html Even when we think that G-d has deserted us, He’s here, behind the scenes. But like the story of Purim, there may be things He’s waiting for us to do.

NaHafoch’hu! Let the Evil be reversed!

Chag Purim Sameach!

Batya Medad, Shiloh
Copyright©BatyaMedad, Contact me for publication permission; private distribution encouraged.
Shilohmuse@yahoo.com
http://shilohmusings.blogspot.com/
http://me-ander.blogspot.com/
http://www.shilo.org.il
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 559 Nathan Abbott Way, Stanford, California 94305, USA

4 comments:

Cosmic X said...

I think that I heard the same broadcast.

"These newscasters are so professional, so disengaged from the strong emotions troubling others."

I beg to disagree. They are a biased group of unprofessional parasites living off the dole.

Hokule'a Kealoha said...

I think that it is shameful and unbelievable. GD will judge these unrighteous ones...

Batya said...

replying-
1- to cos
This was sarcastic, I guess I have to perform it for you to get the real bite...
2- to hoku
You got it. They'll get what they deserve. We're not in charge.

See, I read the comments.

Cosmic X said...

Whoops, thought you were being serious!