Hamas War

Thursday, February 20, 2020

What Did Yitro Hear? Who's Today's Yitro?

I must give this week's Women's Shabbat Class "Shiur." Somehow I had volunteered to be responsible for providing words of Torah every few months. This is to give a needed monthly break to the neighbor who has the difficult task of finding someone each week. Our group started over thirty-eight years ago as a Women's Shabbat Torah Class every Shabbat. Considering how many Tanach, Bible courses I've taken in Matan and prior to that my participation in a weekly Women's Learning "Boker Limud" here in Shiloh, you'd think this a "piece of cake" for me. Gd blessed me with the ability/talent to teach anything I know, but I always feel challenged when I have to teach Tanach to my well-educated neighbors who grew up learning it in their native Hebrew. But for some inexplicable reason, they consider me capable of teaching them something new.

Since last week, Parshat Shavua, Weekly Torah Portion Yitro, I keep thinking about the reactions of other religions and people to what has been happening to the Jewish People since the mid-twentieth century, specifically the miraculous Establishment of the State of Israel and the equally miraculous victories in 1967 and 1973. This is my lifetime. I was born just a year after the State of Israel. I came of age with the liberation of our Biblical Homeland and has been living in Holy Shiloh for almost forty years.

Even more than being in the front row of Jewish History, I guess I'm a participant, albeit a "bit player."
Shmot- Exodus 18
וַיִּשְׁמַ֞ע יִתְר֨וֹ כֹהֵ֤ן מִדְיָן֙ חֹתֵ֣ן מֹשֶׁ֔ה אֵת֩ כָּל־אֲשֶׁ֨ר עָשָׂ֤ה אֱלֹהִים֙ לְמֹשֶׁ֔ה וּלְיִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל עַמּ֑וֹ כִּֽי־הוֹצִ֧יא יְהוָ֛ה אֶת־יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מִמִּצְרָֽיִם׃
Jethro priest of Midian, Moses’ father-in-law, heard all that God had done for Moses and for Israel His people, how the LORD had brought Israel out from Egypt.
I plan on showing that this is happening right now. People of all religions are coming here to Israel to learn from us. I see it in Shiloh, which has an active archeological dig where recent discoveries are proving the Biblical narratives correct.

Shiloh Hakeduma, Tel Shiloh,
Biblical Shiloh

Also for decades delegations have been coming to Israel to learn various technologies, from high tech to low tech. Koreans are convinced that Talmud learning is good for the mind and come here to learn. Christian scholars are admitting that their theology is faulty, then subsequently convert to Judaism. Noahide groups now exist and more examples. 

I'm requesting your ideas of examples, showing how "modern Yitro's" have heard what has happened to the Jewish People and are subsequently coming to join and help us, like in the days of Moses, Moshe Rabbeinu. Thanks. Please answer in the comments.
in Matan

No comments: