Hamas War

Thursday, November 23, 2017

We Don't Need A Special Thanksgiving Day

Today I wrote the following on facebook:
In the 47 years since we left the USA for Israel, I think I've had one Thanksgiving dinner. But I thank Gd all the time I'm here.
And seven years ago, I wrote this post:
It's Not Thanksgiving If It's Not At Aunt Pauline's...
My old family Thanksgivings weren't like the ones pictured in magazines, television and movies. They were unique to my family, sort of holy in a way. And that's probably why when I moved to Israel as a young bride I never thought of looking for lanstsmen to make an American style Thanksgiving meal. It wasn't "Thanksgiving" I had once looked forward to every November, it was being with my maternal family, all of the cousins, aunts and uncles.

Since making Aliyah, moving to Israel, in 1970, I never missed living in America. At times I missed people, but I never once wavered in my conviction that I had done the right thing getting on that boat. My husband and I never once discussed living anyplace other than here in Israel. It was a given for us. Thank Gd. So many couples have decades, a lifetime of debates, discussion and discord about this issue.

I am so thankful I am here. It's Thanksgiving Day all the time.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful pictures ! could you pls tell us where the 3rd one have been taken? Thx

Batya said...

Thanks. Tel Shiloh